A year after cutting the sod for the US $1.2 billion Marine Drive Tourism and Investment Project, work is yet to commence.
That notwithstanding, the President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has assured that work on the project which is expected to create some 15,000 jobs will commence soon.
The president made this known while answering a question on the project during his media encounter at the Jubilee House in Accra on Wednesday.
President Akufo-Addo in December 2017 cut the sod for the development of the 241 acre Accra coastline into a multi-billion dollar tourism enclave.
The Marine Drive project, first conceived by Ghana’s first president Kwame Nkrumah in 1963, is expected to be completed in 2027.
According to the president, the “Marine Drive is a huge development that is being envisaged and since the time of the sod cutting, efforts have been made to secure the basic agreements that will be able to finance the project. Fortunately for us, the anchor tenant [first and leading tenants of the project] of the Marine Drive Project has now been finally established.”
He explained that the drawing of the plan and architect surveys for the Marine Drive project is still on-going and hopes that the project should be completed three years’ time.
“The process has begun and I believe that the Ministry of [Tourism, Arts and Culture]…is very much in the middle of monitoring the project,” the president assured.
President Akufo-Addo noted that “Developments of that nature are not things that happen overnight…it’s a major reconstruction of Accra…it will happen.”
When completed, the Marine Drive will have facilities such as boardwalk, hotels, shopping mall, restaurant, park, landing site and a 3,000-seater concert hall.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Adopting French as Ghana’s second language ‘disrespectful’ – Okyeame Kwame
- If I don’t win any award at 3Music Awards I will pull a 'Shatta Wale' - Medikal declares
- No other Ghanaian music beats highlife - Kyekyeku
- We were once celebrated in Diaspora because of Highlife – Bessa Simons
- I won’t release any song until Mahama wins 2020 elections – Mzbel
- Video: Help stop depreciation of cedi – Samini urges gov’t
- Throwback video: Prof J.H Nketia talks about documenting Ghana’s verbal arts
- Jussie Smollett: Empire's Lee Daniels describes 'pain and anger'
- After 6 years of music, over 40 songs, here are MzVee's best 10
- Boomplay announces licensing deal with Warner Music
- PUZZLED to be screened at the UN Women’s Conference
- Shatta Wale to open 2019 3Music Awards
- Adom FM Music Chart: Medikal’s Omo Ada still reigns
- Video: Nana Ama McBrown shows off baby girl
- MultiChoice Talent Factory networking portal goes live