An Egyptian actress who wore a revealing dress to the Cairo Film Festival is to go on trial on charges of "inciting debauchery", reports say.
Rania Youssef appeared in a lacy, black, see-through outfit that exposed most of her legs, outraging many Egyptians, though some said she should be able to wear what she wanted.
She could be jailed for up to five years if found guilty, a judicial source told AFP.
Ms Youssef has apologised.
The 44-year-old said she would not have worn the dress if she had known it would cause such controversy.
Telesol launches 4G internet service; set to bridge digital gap
Managing Director of Telesol, a 4G-internet service provider said the company is set to adopt new technologies to widen the current digital divide between Africa and the rest of the world beginning from Ghana.
The charges were brought by two lawyers Amro Abdelsalam and Samir Sabri, who are known for taking celebrities to court.
Ms Youssef's appearance "did not meet societal values, traditions and morals and therefore undermined the reputation of the festival and the reputation of Egyptian women in particular", Mr Sabri told AFP.
The Egyptian Actors' Syndicate also criticised the "appearance of some of the guests", which it said "undermined the festival and the union".
In a social media post, the actress said she had "probably miscalculated" in choosing to wear the dress.
"It was the first time that I wore it and I did not realise it would spark so much anger," she said.
"I reaffirm my commitment to the values upon which we were raised in Egyptian society," she added.
Last year an Egyptian court jailed singer Shaimaa Ahmed for two years - later reduced to a year - for appearing in a music video in her underwear while suggestively eating a banana.
Meanwhile in January prosecutors detained another singer, Laila Amer, after her music video, showing her dancing and making suggestive gestures, sparked controversy.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- I haven’t found someone who can tolerate me – E.L on being single
- You’re not qualified to grade rappers if I’m not in Top 5 list – E.L
- Joy Prime, SALM excite thousands at ‘A Beautiful Christmas’ concert
- Peace Hyde speaks on gender parity in Media at the Africa 2018 Forum in Egypt
- Sarkodie is a brother regardless of what people say – E.L
- Video/Photos: MTN Music Festival thrills patrons on Farmers’ Day
- Creative arts industry is an orphan - Kwaw Ansah
- Abena crowned Ghana’s Most Beautiful 2018
- Watch: Shatta Wale releases video for ‘My Level’ hit song
- Popular actor narrates how he lived with a ghost for 3 months
- Photos from Kufuor’s 80th birthday celebrations
- Joy FM presents perfect family getaway on Dec 22
- Beyoncé sings at A-list Indian wedding
- Kevin Hart steps down as Oscars host after 3-day controversy
- Hajia 4Real ‘shows boobs’ in King Promise, Wizkid video