As part of activities to strengthen relations with Ghana, the Embassy of Israel on Tuesday hosted Ghanaian dignitaries, diplomats and some Israelis in Ghana to mark this year’s Festival of Lights, or Hanukkah, at the Kempinski Hotel.
Hanukkah commemorates the victory of the Maccabees over the Syrian Greek army and the subsequent miracle of rededicating the Holy Temple in Jerusalem and restoring its menorah.
During the eight-day Jewish festival, Jews around the world light one candle on a nine-branched menorah - or 'Hanukkah candelabrum' - each day for eight days.
On the Western calendar, the festival is celebrated in November or December.
This year it began on Sunday, December 2 and continues until Monday, December 10, 2018. In Ghana, the celebration is a collaboration between the Israeli Embassy and the Kempinski Hotel.
Delivering a short speech before lighting the third candle to mark the third day of the festival at the Kempinski Hotel, Israeli Ambassador to Ghana, Liberia and Sierra Leone, Mrs. Shani Cooper, said she was delighted to be celebrating her first Hanukkah in Ghana.
“Celebrating my first Hanukkah in Ghana I can definitely thank God for other miracles: that we work together to continue the solid foundation in relations between Ghana and Israel; the love and the heart of the people of Israel and the people of Ghana towards each other and the huge potential we have to further deepen our relations,” said Mrs. Cooper.
Ghanaian dignitaries that graced the occasion included Minister of Environment, Science, Technology and Innovation, Professor Kwabena Frimpong-Boateng; Minister of Agriculture, Dr Owusu Afriyie Akoto; Chief Executive Officer of the Salt and Light Ministries, Joyce Aryee; Chieftaincy Minister, Kofi Dzamesi and the General Overseer of Action Chapel, Archbishop Duncan Williams.
A musical performance was provided by Limor Ballas, a 37-year-old singer-songwriter and poet from Tel-Aviv.
She serenaded guests with her exciting and soul inspiring and musical performance.
Limor Ballas has over the last nine years performed around the world with her original songs.
On Tuesday at the Festival of Lights, Limor Ballas performed one of her songs with talented Ghanaian songstress, Kueba.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Ark band performs live on Joy FM’s Cosmopolitan Mix
- Creative Arts Council, media pay courtesy call on Ghana Embassy in Spain
- Listen: 'Already' by Beyoncé ft Shatta Wale
- Storm Energy partners Silverbird to premiere Lion King
- FaceApp: Celebs fall in love with AgeChallenge
- Cobby Raymond releases Kojo Antwi inspired song
- MUSIGA has ¢70,000 locked up in Menzgold - Bessa Simons
- Nicki Minaj hints on signing Ghanaian act
- People aren’t celebrating GuiltyBeatz's prod. on Beyoncé's album – Ameyaw Debrah
- AFCON 2019: Fuse ODG to perform at closing ceremony
- Kevin Spacey: Massachusetts prosecutors drop sex assault case
- Ghanaian delegation in Spain for Vis-a-Vis Festival
- Video: Strika's handler hands over ¢40,000 to actor
- Shatta Wale to tour with Beyoncé
- We didn’t pitch any material to get selected – Bulldog opens up about Beyoncé-Shatta collab