The premiere of US documentary series Surviving R Kelly was evacuated after "individuals stated they received a threatening phone call", NYPD has said.
"The location was evacuated, no shots were fired. No arrests have been made and the investigation is onoging," New York Police Department told the BBC.
The six-part series focuses on the women who have accused the singer of sexual misconduct, which he denies.
#MeToo founder Tarana Burke was among several panellists at the screening.
She tweeted: "The worst of it isn't the threat though because it didn't appear to be credible, but the survivors who had to endure his harassment. #MuteRKelly"
April Reign, who created the #OscarsSoWhite hashtag, was also at the screening and said police were on the scene.
The event, which took place in New York on 4 December, was postponed by the venue, NeueHouse Madison Square.
Their spokesperson told the BBC that the safety of its storytellers and members "is always our first priority. Tonight was no different"
They added: "NeueHouse has always existed to celebrate creatives, entrepreneurs and activists with important and meaningful stories to share.
"Despite non-credible threats called in during tonight's screening, we followed appropriate safety protocols in collaboration with the NYPD and elected to postpone the event.
'Safety of paramount importance'
"We stand by the creative women bringing these heroic stories to light."
NYPD added that they have an "open complaint for aggravated harassment" on the incident.
Lifetime, which made the documentary, told the BBC: "Several anonymous threats were called in.
"As a precaution, the network elected to evacuate the building. The safety and security of our panel, guests and staff is of paramount importance to Lifetime."
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Photos: Okyeame Kwame dazzles at ‘Made in Ghana’ album launch
- 26 years of courtesy calls on Chief Imam in Photos
- Okyeame Kwame’s album launch, a truly Made-In-Ghana show
- Sarkodie celebrates mother’s birthday with lovely message, photos
- Non-stop live band performance rocks Luv FM Family Party in the Park
- Video: Lil Win charms crowd at MTN-Adom Kwahu Mega Street Bash
- Photos: Families receive fresh life at Luv FM Family Party in the Park
- Tinny says 'whack' rapper comment was for hype – D Black
- Ebony was vilified because of her sexuality – Novelist on stereotype
- I wish Trigmatic were my biological son – Aka Blay
- Adele splits from husband Simon Konecki
- Cardi B rejects plea deal over Queens strip club brawl
- Good Friday special: Luigi Maclean, Globe Productions light up Super Morning Show
- Osibisa marks 50 years of musical excellence
- Video: Ghana DJ Awards PubFest keeps Purple Pub jamming till morning