For years, he turned many grown men into boys and whipped them to a pulp in a ‘father and son’ bouts but on Thursday night he became the boy blessed by his father, ex-president Jerry John Rawlings on Lexis Bills’ Personality Profile on Joy.
“I wish him the best…I like him to, at the age of 70, 75, he will enter into a TV studio. By then I will be in heaven looking down at him, looking fit. I want him to stay fit.
"I want him to demonstrate to people that you can hold onto your health and fitness if you remain disciplined enough,” Mr Rawlings said on phone to Azumah who had taken his turn on the hall of fame.
Mr Rawlings loves to talk on platforms, not on phone but for the former Super Feather Weight champion, the ex-president was ready to do anything.
And when he granted the wish of the producers to call into the programme to say a few words to the greatest African boxer of all time, Mr Rawlings said just enough, showered a lot of praises on the man who has achieved so much yet remains so humble.
“As successful as he became, he retained his humility,” Mr Rawlings said, describing Azumah Nelson as a role model, an “iron hard disciplined person.”
Azumah Nelson took Lexis Bill through the making of a legend, an African boxing legend who from an obscure background in Bukom, rose to fame, the Boxing Hall of fame by breaking jaws.
Watch the video:
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Elvis Presley to get US Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Joe Mettle to thrill audience at praise jam thanksgiving
- Boomplay, Universal Music announce distribution partnership for Africa
- Kim Porter, mother to three of Diddy's children, dies aged 47
- Video: I’m not bothered by ‘dumb question’ trolls – Wendy Shay
- 2018 AFRIMA in limbo, organisers to call off Ghana event if gov’t…
- Video: Royal visit was just wrong – Fuse ODG
- Winners of 2018 National Book Awards
- Gov’t to build ultra-modern film studio, set up National Film Authority
- Video: Yaw Siki became born again because of motorway potholes – Criss Waddle
- Video: Kidi is best vocalist in Ghana but he's not on my album – Kuami Eugene
- Video: I’m cool with Shatta Wale, beef was just business – Criss Waddle
- Uncompleted Volta Regional theatre abandoned for 20 yrs
- 8 days of no 'dumsor' shocks Nollywood actor
- MultiChoice clean sweep at Africa TV industry Awards