Nollywood star actress, Omotola Jelade-Ekeinde says it is very possible for the African continent to have a category solely for African films at the Oscars.
The “Alter Ego” star, who was in Ghana for the 2018 edition of the All Africa Music Awards (AFRIMA), made this known during an interview with Joy Prime’s Ibrahim Ben-Bako.
She revealed that she had a meeting with CEO of the Oscars, Dawn Hudson concerning a category for African films.
“I’m actually looking into that. I had a meeting about that with the CEO Miss Dawn and she thought that was very interesting because they had never done that for any country, but it’s on the table and that possibly can happen,” Omotola said.
She added that, “We will see how that goes. I think we do deserve it because a lot of African countries actually speak English so it’s a little bit weird that we have to actually submit as foreign films and what that means is that most of the movies have to be in vernacular.”
The award-winning actress further added that, “I feel that African movies that have vernacular should go into foreign films and because we are colonised by the English and we speak English as our first language we should be able to compete with the normal selections or categories. We will see how that goes maybe they will put something aside for us apart from the foreign films which they can’t change the rules for that which has to go in vernacular or they will create something special for us.”
Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde was made a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (Oscars) this year with a signed notification by the Academy president Mr John Bailey for having demonstrated exceptional accomplishments in the field of theatrical motion pictures.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Six new school songs influenced by old school
- Video: Why should I attend Willi Roi’s funeral? – Stonebwoy
- I can’t beat Annie – 2Baba refutes wife-beating allegations
- Joy FM/Kojo Antwi Love concert: Easier to buy a ticket but harder to go home
- Koffi Olomide faces seven-year jail term over Paris sex assault
- Photos: All set for Joy FM's Lovers Dinner Dance with Kojo Antwi
- Video: Why is Akufo-Addo silent on Menzgold? - Stonebwoy wonders
- What a Kojo Antwi song has put together, let no one put asunder
- 2019 Africa Travel Indaba kicks off from May 2
- Kojo Antwi’s music gets lady out of coma, prevented suicide
- Video: I was a betweener for my husband - Azigiza's wife reveals
- Photos: John Mahama is ‘grandfather’, ‘daughter’ welcomes baby boy
- 3Music Awards 2019: Shatta Wale, Stonebwoy, Kwesi Arthur top nomination list
- My husband is the pillar of my life – Ohemaa Mercy
- Video/Photos: DJ Switch wows African leaders at AU headquarters