Nollywood star actress, Omotola Jelade-Ekeinde says it is very possible for the African continent to have a category solely for African films at the Oscars.
The “Alter Ego” star, who was in Ghana for the 2018 edition of the All Africa Music Awards (AFRIMA), made this known during an interview with Joy Prime’s Ibrahim Ben-Bako.
She revealed that she had a meeting with CEO of the Oscars, Dawn Hudson concerning a category for African films.
“I’m actually looking into that. I had a meeting about that with the CEO Miss Dawn and she thought that was very interesting because they had never done that for any country, but it’s on the table and that possibly can happen,” Omotola said.
She added that, “We will see how that goes. I think we do deserve it because a lot of African countries actually speak English so it’s a little bit weird that we have to actually submit as foreign films and what that means is that most of the movies have to be in vernacular.”
The award-winning actress further added that, “I feel that African movies that have vernacular should go into foreign films and because we are colonised by the English and we speak English as our first language we should be able to compete with the normal selections or categories. We will see how that goes maybe they will put something aside for us apart from the foreign films which they can’t change the rules for that which has to go in vernacular or they will create something special for us.”
Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde was made a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (Oscars) this year with a signed notification by the Academy president Mr John Bailey for having demonstrated exceptional accomplishments in the field of theatrical motion pictures.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- VGMA@20: Oragnisers fail to announce 'Artiste of the Year' due to Shatta, Stonebwoy fight
- VGMA@20: Sarkodie crowned ‘Artiste of the Decade’
- VGMA@20: “You are my son” – Amakye Dede crowns Kuami Eugene
- “I’m really sorry” - Stonebwoy apolgises for pulling gun at VGMA@20
- Video: VGMA@20: Stonebwoy pulls gun as Bhim Nation, Shatta Wale camps clash
- Photos: Fashion moment on the Red Carpet of VGMA@20
- VGMA@20: Check out winners at 20th Vodafone Ghana Music Awards
- VGMA@20: Live updates of 20th Vodafone Ghana Music Awards
- I’m rooting for Kuami Eugene to win ‘Artiste of the Year’ – Okyeame Kwame
- Video: Watch 20th Vodafone Ghana Music Awards live
- Arnold Schwarzenegger drop-kicked at South Africa event
- It's fraud when artiste don't perform live – Samini
- Staying united secured our success - Daughters of Glorious Jesus
- Kwesi Arthur, Chris Attoh, Dumelo, others headline week's entertainment news
- Give underground artistes slots on big shows – Rapper Ikroniq pleads