At Jubilee House in Accra, the official residence of the President of Ghana, Edward Enninful spoke to a room full of commonwealth dignitaries as part of Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales and Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall's four-day visit to the country.
Enninful took to the stage after dinner to give his speech which addressed his British and Ghanaian upbringing and the unique cultural bond that unites both countries. "British Vogue will always shine a spotlight on Africa and its vibrant people, cities and world class designers. Africa’s colours and vibrant culture will be celebrated within our pages and together we will promote our shared values to the rest of the world."
Enninful then introduced a fashion show to end the evening which highlighted Ghana’s world class design talent. Three global Ghanaian designers unveiled collections, including Ozwald Boateng OBE, Christie Brown and Adrian Sauvage alongside three local Ghanaian designers, Duaba Serwa, Pistis and Kwaku Bediako.
Read Enninful's speech in full below:
“Thank you for welcoming me home. Growing up in the United Kingdom, my Ghanaian parents instilled strong values in my five siblings and me: family, education and work ethic. My British and African upbringing shaped who I am today and how I view tomorrow. Tomorrow is a world where opportunities are not defined by the colour of your skin, by your religion, by your age, not defined by your economic background or your gender. Tomorrow is a world where a child born in Africa or in the United Kingdom and who wants to succeed, can. From Accra to London, we share a unique cultural bond and a bright future. Together, we can achieve great things. British Vogue will always shine a spotlight on Africa and its vibrant people, cities, and world class designers. Africa's colours and vibrant culture will be celebrated within our pages and together, we will promote our shared values to the rest of the world.”
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Artistes paid to put my name in their songs - Appietus
- 'I never invested in Menzgold' - Okyeame Kwame
- We dated for 5 years – Adekunle Gold confirms getting married to Simi
- Married life with Annica has been amazing - Okyeame Kwame
- Video: Yvonne Okoro reveals recording sex tape with ex-boyfriend
- I admire Abedi Pele so much – Adina
- Video: Adekunle Gold, Simi release new song to celebrate their wedding
- Daddy Lumba, Kojo Antwi comparison impossible - Okyeame Kwame
- Photos: Ataa Mensah of 'Showcase in Ga' dies at 91
- Video/Photos: Daughters of Glorious Jesus pay courtesy call to Multimedia Group
- Video: I've forgiven my parents for throwing me away when I was born – Don Little
- I'm not bothered by the young ones using my songs - Kojo Antwi
- Video: Women who earn more than their partners abuse them – D Cryme
- Video: Creative Arts has been neglected - Sidney
- Video: I’ll be tagged greedy if I disclose how much I invested with Menzgold – Lil Win