President of the Creative Arts Council, Mark Okraku Mantey says Ghanaians should not encourage the culture of ‘beefing’ in the music industry.
While he agrees the act of beefing may be good for business, he was quick to add the culture may erode good neighborliness in the country.
“We are gradually taking our country in the wrong direction,” he warned while speaking on Daybreak Hitz on Hitz FM with Andy Dosty.
His warning follows the public buzz created as a result of Sarkodie’s diss track targeted at dancehall artiste Shatta Wale.
The diss song, ‘My Advice’, seems to be Sarkodie’s response to Shatta Wale after the latter described him as “very poor”.
In the freestyle video, the rapper used strong language to attack Shatta Wale and described him as an “insecure attention seeker.”
While some industry persons have noted that ‘beefs’ are very good for the business and the growth of the industry, the President of the Creative Arts Council is urging caution.
He said “now they are saying that because of commerce, these people are going to make money and so let’s encourage people,” to attack each other using music.
“Let’s be careful and mindful. If we say beefing is bringing money… so let’s beef, it gets the industry excited, where is the cutoff point?”
“Very soon I can also write a song dissing the president of the country. Is that where we want to go as a people? Is that where we want to gradually mold our culture into?” Mr Mantey, who is also the CEO of Slip Entertainment, quizzed.
To further buttress his point, he stressed on Shatta Wale, for example, being a role model to many but goes about insulting people with impunity.
The Creative Arts Council president observed that no parent would want their kids to pick up such negative traits and therefore should not be encouraged.
“Let’s check commerce against culture if we are not careful we will take the pain when we are old…let’s not disappoint the next generation,” he added.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Video: I thought Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale would learn from my experience – Gemann
- DJ Switch makes it unto billboard in Times Square
- Kwesi Arthur motivates students to win 2019 Queen’s Commonwealth Essay
- KiDi: Charterhouse should be sanctioned for role in VGMA brawl
- Fault Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale but blame Charterhouse too – Sarkodie
- Jim Iyke enjoys bullying me – Ini Edo
- Harvey Weinstein 'to settle with accusers for $44m'
- M.anifest fights child abuse
- Ebony Reign still reigns as Artiste of the Year after VGMA@20 fiasco
- Video: I'm going to limit the comedy, I'm a father of twins now - Funny Face
- Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale banned indefinitely, stripped of all VGMA 2019 awards
- Shatta Wale withdraws from Ghana Music Awards scheme
- You can be a star today but a criminal tomorrow - Gemann to Shatta Wale, Stonebwoy
- Cardi B postpones concert over plastic surgery woes
- Newly crowned 'Artiste of the Decade' gives artistes lessons on self-control