A journey that began on Thursday, July 5, 2018 at the La Villa Boutique Hotel in Accra came to a beautiful climax on Saturday, September 15, 2018.
The Omanye Hall of the Labadi Beach Hotel on Saturday night was full of colour and splendour as Akpene Diata Hoggar, who represented the Brong Ahafo Region, was crowned winner of the 2018 Miss Universe Ghana pageant.
This year's pageant, which was beamed live on Ghana’s premium entertainment channel Joy Prime on Multi-TV to millions of viewers across the African content, will be one that Ms Hoggar will never forget.
She impressed the judges for the night, Sean Guy, Shirley Frimpong Manso, Yvonne Nelson, Miss Reykjavik (Miss Universe Iceland), Manuela Osk (Miss Universe 2003 contestant), and Emmanuel Kojo-Jones Mensah, to win the ultimate nod.
L-R: Vanessa Tekor Akuetteh, Akpene Diata Hoggar and Silvia Commodore
For her, beating nine other competitors in Saturday’s fiercely contested finale, is no easy feat. It is one she will relish for years to come.
“I just want to say a big thank you to everyone. It’s been a very challenging but transformational time for me. These ladies have made it very interesting and I will never forget it, I will remember this moment for the rest of my life,” an overwhelmed Ms Hoggar, who had 128 points, said after she was announced winner.
The nine other finalists for this year were; Tekor Akuetteh (Western Region), Michaelina Dankwa (Ashanti Region), Naa Odoi (Upper East Region), Daisy Obeng (Eastern Region), Gifty Quansah (Greater Accra Region), Pascalina Yeboah (Central Region), Anita Sampana (Northern Region), Silvia Commodore (Upper West Region), and Afiba Dadzie (Volta Region).
The fresh queen, who lives in Accra, studied Management Information System at Ashesi University. She is also Creative Consultant, a co-founder of Peer Relief and she aspires to become a global change agent.
Akpene Diata Hoggar, who is a model, blogger, and an entrepreneur, was part of the ten lucky finalists, who braced the odds and survived the numerous tests, to stand out of over 200 ladies who eyed ‘Ghana’s Next Sweetheart’ some weeks ago.
Ms Hoggar now has the only ticket to represent Ghana at this year’s Miss Universe international pageant slated for December this year at Thailand.
Shirley Frimpong Manso and Yvonne Nelson
Apart from the coveted crown, she also went home with a brand new car, one-year contract with the Lab Modeling Agency in Milan, Italy; one-year contract as the Face of ‘So aesthetic’, one-year supply of GTP fabrics, makeup products for one year, ¢10,000 worth of Shoes from Shoe Zone and one- year hair services and spa treatments by First Choice Beauty Salon.
The pageant organized by Maltz Promotions, led by Menaye Donkor, saw Vanessa Tekor Akuetteh, a budding paralegal and a model, emerge first-runner up. She had 111 points. Silvia Commodore, who had 108 points, was adjudged second runner-up.
Saturday’s finale, which was hosted by Ghana’s most versatile broadcaster and event MC, Nathaniel Attoh, witnessed performances from Adina and King Promise.
Some of the known personalities at the finale included Sulley Muntari, husband of Menaye Donkor, Santokh Singh (COO of Multi-TV), Akumaa Mama Zimbe, Yvonne Okoro, Sandra Ankobiah and Nana Aba Anamoah.
Shirley Frimpong Manso
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Elvis Presley to get US Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Joe Mettle to thrill audience at praise jam thanksgiving
- Boomplay, Universal Music announce distribution partnership for Africa
- Kim Porter, mother to three of Diddy's children, dies aged 47
- Video: I’m not bothered by ‘dumb question’ trolls – Wendy Shay
- 2018 AFRIMA in limbo, organisers to call off Ghana event if gov’t…
- Video: Royal visit was just wrong – Fuse ODG
- Winners of 2018 National Book Awards
- Gov’t to build ultra-modern film studio, set up National Film Authority
- Video: Yaw Siki became born again because of motorway potholes – Criss Waddle
- Video: Kidi is best vocalist in Ghana but he's not on my album – Kuami Eugene
- Video: I’m cool with Shatta Wale, beef was just business – Criss Waddle
- Uncompleted Volta Regional theatre abandoned for 20 yrs
- 8 days of no 'dumsor' shocks Nollywood actor
- MultiChoice clean sweep at Africa TV industry Awards