The wife of Ghana’s Vice-President, Samira Bawumia has said that she is not worried about social media critics on her choice of clothing.
In an interview with Citi FM, Mrs Bawumia said she would rather prefer to be judged by what impact she is making with the position she occupies to what she wears.
“I wish it wouldn’t be the preoccupation…because I do a lot of work that I will rather highlight. I mean if a woman is dressing well there shouldn’t be anything wrong with that. I think we should own our beauty and also make a difference,” she said.
She also noted that her choice of wardrobe is also promoting the businesses of those who make them and that is something that excites her.
“Sometimes I wear clothes and those who made it for me, their business booms and I’m happy for them because I’m also promoting their industry.”
After President Akufo-Addo was inaugurated on January 7, 2017, Mr Bawumia has been an attraction at many public events with her fashion sense.
Some people admire her fashion sense while others criticise her for choosing clothes that they say do not reflect her religious values as a Muslim and her position as the wife of the Vice President.
But Mrs Bawumia said such comments only bother her when they tend to spite her. She added that she is more concerned about what those in her inner circles have to say about what she wears.
“I worry slightly about how sometimes the discourse goes because this politics turns to be sometimes a bit vicious."
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Absolute Worship comes off July 7
- We need to stop the beef - Strongman Burner
- Media made slay queens popular - Ama K. Abebrese
- ‘Ups and Downs’ not a diss song - Strongman
- BET Awards: Stars pay tribute to Nipsey Hussle
- Rap battle: Medikal vs Strongman, who won?
- 2019 EMY Africa Awards: Full list of Winners
- Class, style, persona; Nat Attoh hosts 3rd EMY Africa Award
- DJ Switch to support Cape Coast school with educational materials
- Gospel musician arrested over HIV/AIDS cure claims
- Cardi B charged with strip club assault
- Video: Asamoah Gyan, Atsu, Owusu, others in ‘cheeky response train’
- Ghanaian TV personality to host 2019 BET Awards red carpet
- I don’t mind nude roles to serve a purpose—Ama K
- Joy FM's Cosmopolitan mix goes live with Kwanpa band