The maiden edition of the Ghana Outstanding Women Awards (GOWA), has been launched at a very colourful ceremony in Accra.
The awards night billed for November 30, 2018, would confer honours on Ghanaian women, who have impacted the growth of the country in areas such as politics, health, education, sports and showbiz.
Afua Asantewaa Aduonum, founding President of GOWA, said at the launch of the event that, women have played a significant role in nation-building, but their efforts have been downplayed with little or no recognition.
“Women play vital roles in our socio-economic setting yet the society, especially Ghana has to a large extent failed to recognize their efforts.
Founding President of GOWA, Afua Asantewaa Aduonum
“However, GOWA has a strong conviction that the time has come for women who are doing great exploits in their respective endeavours should be accorded the honour they deserve,” Mrs Adounum noted.
Francisca Duncan Willams, the chairperson of the program, reiterated the need to empower women by recognizing their efforts adding that, there was a lack of appreciation for the efforts of women.
“For me wherever women are mentioned remains my heartbeat with the reason being that from creation, God created a helpmate for men, which are women and I think it’s about time women rise and celebrate who they are, other than wait to be celebrated,” she said.
She added, “women have done so much right from conception, but I believe women have not been appreciated as they should, so I encourage women to get educated and know who they are”.
Meanwhile, nominees for this year’s awards would be on September 28, at the Coconut Groove hotel in Accra.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Video: I won't invite 'people' to my wedding – Lilwin
- Steve Bedi to headline PAMA Festival 2019
- Ben Brako tops Global Music Charts with 'Shame and Scandal'
- Bible isn't against Marijuana, stop preaching against it – Rev. Abbeam
- Burna Boy deserved his BET award – Davido
- Cardi B pleads not guilty to assault
- Michelle Obama and Stephen Fry help drive audiobook boom
- Unemployment cause of increased nudity - Vicky Zugah
- Consistency and not hits alone make a good artiste - eShun
- Video: ‘I cannot say Medikal is a fraud boy’ - Strongman
- Don’t marry a woman who cannot cook – Kwesi Arthur's dad to son
- Partnering musicians as a producer is key – Jayso
- First edition of Miss United Continents, Ghana launched
- David Bolton releases visuals for ‘Odo Fofro’ featuring Samini
- Nominees for 2019 Hospitality Awards unveiled