The National Chief Imam, Sheikh Dr Osmanu Nuhu Sharubutu is one man who is highly revered in the country.
Popularly known for his welcoming nature and peace advocacy, the chief imam has led an exemplary life which the BBC describes “light in the world of darkness.”
As he celebrates his 100th birthday, we take a look at some pictures of him with some notable people in society.
Many people have never seen an image of the Chief Imam. Born on April 23, 1919, the Chief Imam was already 74 when he was handed the position of the National Chief Imam in 1993 putting him in the limelight.
Image: Young Sheikh Dr Osmanu Nuhu Sharubutu
For many youths, this is how the Chief Imam has always looked. Not surprising since some of them have not lived a quarter of his age.
Even though, the Chief Imam has tried living his life out of the spotlight, on some occasions, pictures of him with other notable people in the society surface.
Today as Sheikh Sharubutu celebrates his 100th birthday, we look at some photos of the Chief Imam with celebrities in the society.
The Chief Imam has never affiliated himself with any party or hailed one over another. Probably that contributes to the reason many people like him so much and possibly why people, regardless of where they come from, can step into his territory freely and be received like any other.
Image: President Akufo Addo and Sheikh Nuhu Sharubutu on his 99th birthday
Image: Chief Imam and Former President Mahama at the independence square in 2016
Image: Chief Imam and Former President Jerry John Rawlings
Image: Cheif Imam with Vice President Dr Mahamudu Bawumia
Image: Chief Imam and Former President Kufuor
Image: Chief Imam with The Inspector General of Police (IGP) Mr David Asante-Apeatu
Image: Chief Imam cutting sod for sports complex named after him with Zongo Minister Mustapha Abdul-Hamid (Ph.D.)
Image: Chief Imam visits Christ the King Parish as part of his 100th birthday
The Chief Imam’s visit to the church was indicative of the peaceful co-existence between Christians and Muslims in the country and also a gesture to deepen religious tolerance.
Image: The prophets and spiritual churches council confer peace honour on Chief Imam
Image: Rev Obofuor paying a visit to the Chief Imam
Image: Chief Imam hugging Rev. Owusu Bempah
The church of Rev. Owusu Bempah was destroyed by some Zongo youth after he had prophesied Sheikh Nuhu Sharubutu would die this year.
The pastor had paid a visit to the National Chief Imam to thank him for his swift action to forestall peace when his church was vandalised.
Celebrated Dancehall artiste Stonebwoy also paid a visit to the Chief Imam in 2018 when he turned 99.
Image: Chief Imam and Stonebwoy
‘Angela’ hitmaker Kuami Eugene in 2018 presented his VGMA awards to the Chief Imam.
The singer who originally lived in Fadama, (where the Chief Imam lives) in an Instagram post wrote, “went back Home to Say thank you to The National Chief Imam of Ghana #MoreBlessingAhead #RockStar?.”
The National Chief Imam for his 100 birthday had a breakfast event at the Movenpick Hotel, in Accra.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- VGMA@20 brawl: Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale granted bail
- We need to change narrative – Sarkodie speaks on support for industry
- VGMA@20: Celebrities react to Shatta Wale-Stonebwoy brawl
- Gov't to meet Shatta, Stonebwoy over feud – Tourism Minister
- Charterhouse disappointed after giving Shatta Wale a chance – CEO
- Creative Arts Ministry 'failed' to stop Shatta Wale Stonebwoy brawl - Minister
- VGMA@20: Stonebwoy not emotionally balanced to own gun - Sefa Kayi
- VGMA@20: MUSIGA condemns 'shameful behaviour' of Shata Wale, Stonebwoy
- VGMA@20 clash: Stonebwoy may be biggest loser – Ameyaw Debrah
- Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale have dented dancehall culture- Ambassador
- A nominee breached security protocol – Charterhouse explains VGMA brawl
- 'We got lucky this time' – Lydia Forson on VGMA brawl
- Stonebwoy explains why he pulled a gun on stage
- Shatta Wale, Stonebwoy in police custody over VGMA brawl
- VGMA@20: Police arrest one person after Shatta-Stonebwoy brawl