Veteran singer K.K. Kabobo has stated that if he is ever given an award in the name of highlife, he will not take it.
K.K Kabobo said he does not consider himself a highlife artiste but a multi-genre musician.
“When you take one album of a multi-genre artiste, you get varieties of genres in that one album.,” he told Andy Dosty on Daybreak Hitz on Hitz FM on Monday.
According to him, many people rejected the highlife music in his time which affected the kind of music he played.
He explained that in the early years of his music career, he played what many of the people requested at shows.
K.K Kabobo added that the dance and guitar bands he played with at shows focused mostly on funks, reggae and smoochy music.
“There are shows if you start playing highlife they will shout ‘no’. Hence for many shows, the promoter will tell you don’t come and play any highlife here,” he stated.
Some of the music played at the shows included music from Jamaica’s Jimmy Cliff, America’s Johnny Nash or serious funks from soul/funk group Commodores, Earth Wind and Fire, K.K Kabobo revealed.
The legendary musician stated, “playing those songs makes you a multi-genre musician,”
Veteran musician Sloopy Mike Gyamfi who was also on the show agreed with his colleague’s point. He stated that they were more of contemporary artistes.
“We did not play the music like the concert bands. We learned a little reggae, soul, highlife and others so when we took the stage to perform the Ghanaian music, there were traces of those sounds in our music,” he stated.
Sloopy Mike claimed they created their own sounds which were different from the highlife sounds of AB Crentsil and other veteran musicians then.
“Because of the traces of foreign sounds in our music, we are not true highlife musicians,” he stated.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Photos: Okyeame Kwame dazzles at ‘Made in Ghana’ album launch
- 26 years of courtesy calls on Chief Imam in Photos
- Okyeame Kwame’s album launch, a truly Made-In-Ghana show
- Sarkodie celebrates mother’s birthday with lovely message, photos
- Non-stop live band performance rocks Luv FM Family Party in the Park
- Video: Lil Win charms crowd at MTN-Adom Kwahu Mega Street Bash
- Photos: Families receive fresh life at Luv FM Family Party in the Park
- Tinny says 'whack' rapper comment was for hype – D Black
- Ebony was vilified because of her sexuality – Novelist on stereotype
- I wish Trigmatic were my biological son – Aka Blay
- Adele splits from husband Simon Konecki
- Cardi B rejects plea deal over Queens strip club brawl
- Good Friday special: Luigi Maclean, Globe Productions light up Super Morning Show
- Osibisa marks 50 years of musical excellence
- Video: Ghana DJ Awards PubFest keeps Purple Pub jamming till morning