Veteran singer K.K. Kabobo has stated that if he is ever given an award in the name of highlife, he will not take it.
K.K Kabobo said he does not consider himself a highlife artiste but a multi-genre musician.
“When you take one album of a multi-genre artiste, you get varieties of genres in that one album.,” he told Andy Dosty on Daybreak Hitz on Hitz FM on Monday.
According to him, many people rejected the highlife music in his time which affected the kind of music he played.
He explained that in the early years of his music career, he played what many of the people requested at shows.
K.K Kabobo added that the dance and guitar bands he played with at shows focused mostly on funks, reggae and smoochy music.
“There are shows if you start playing highlife they will shout ‘no’. Hence for many shows, the promoter will tell you don’t come and play any highlife here,” he stated.
Some of the music played at the shows included music from Jamaica’s Jimmy Cliff, America’s Johnny Nash or serious funks from soul/funk group Commodores, Earth Wind and Fire, K.K Kabobo revealed.
The legendary musician stated, “playing those songs makes you a multi-genre musician,”
Veteran musician Sloopy Mike Gyamfi who was also on the show agreed with his colleague’s point. He stated that they were more of contemporary artistes.
“We did not play the music like the concert bands. We learned a little reggae, soul, highlife and others so when we took the stage to perform the Ghanaian music, there were traces of those sounds in our music,” he stated.
Sloopy Mike claimed they created their own sounds which were different from the highlife sounds of AB Crentsil and other veteran musicians then.
“Because of the traces of foreign sounds in our music, we are not true highlife musicians,” he stated.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- My mom and I were abandoned by my father – Nsromma star
- It will be difficult going back to school – Kuami Eugene
- I’m a shopaholic, I need prayers – Jackie Appiah
- Abraham Attah to star in Birdman’s film
- Lena Headey didn’t like Cersei’s ‘Game of Thrones’ death scene
- Girlfriends, side-chicks of Black Stars players should be allowed into their camp – Mzbel
- Duchess Meghan nominated for World Fashion Award
- Video: Do politics if you want Ghana to move forward – A Plus
- Pushing foreign genres will not sell Ghana - Mikki Osei Berko to artistes
- “You can’t be serious” - Kwesi Arthur's dad reacts to his plan to marry at 35
- Comedy play 'Adam in Court' stages on June 22
- Cardi B forced to perform in bathrobe after wardrobe malfunction
- 2019 MTV Movie, TV Awards: The only 10 moments people will be talking about
- I received death threats over Konkonsa show on Radio Gold - Mikki Osei Berko
- Father's Day: Celebs gush over their daddies