Okyeame Kwame has advised his fellow musicians to get alternative sources of income to augment their music revenue.
Speaking on Adom FM the Rap Doctor as he is also known, said because the royalty system does not pay in Ghana, “musicians can’t rely solely on music for the livelihood.”
"Elsewhere, if you produce one music, you get a lot from royalties but the case is different in Ghana. That is why you need other income streams to cushion you," he said.
Okyeame Kwame added, "everybody knows Amakye Dede is also into farming, Kojo Antwi has a hotel, Daddy Lumba is into salt business. You can't always be on top so you need a backup."
He made this statement when he was asked if he would allow his children to do music.
Many actors, actresses, and musicians have been seen over the years doing different things aside their professions.
Actress Yvonne Okoro in an interview on Hitz Daybreak with Andy Dosty said she has other businesses including real estate. She is also the host of the cooking show ‘Cooks and Braggarts.”
Actor John Dumelo has also ventured into farming and actress Fella Makafui has a wine shop and clothing shop. Some musicians like Sarkodie own shops that sell their clothing brands.
According to Okyeame Kwame, he will not approve if his children decide to do full-time music.
He explained in the music industry, an artiste will not always have a smooth sail financially, so, his children will need another source of money a side job to support themselves.
Okyeame Kwame who is preparing to release his Made in Ghana album, recently released the second single from the album.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- After 6 years of music, over 40 songs, here are MzVee's best 10
- Boomplay announces licensing deal with Warner Music
- PUZZLED to be screened at the UN Women’s Conference
- Shatta Wale to open 2019 3Music Awards
- Adom FM Music Chart: Medikal’s Omo Ada still reigns
- Video: Nana Ama McBrown shows off baby girl
- MultiChoice Talent Factory networking portal goes live
- Video: I took injections to bleach my skin for movie roles in Nigeria – Actress
- I do the dishes at home - Adjetey Anang reveals
- Koffi Olomidé guilty of rape of 15-year-old girl
- Inna Patty drags ex-Miss Ghana queens to court for defamation
- Kwaw Kese, D-Black, Patapaa are wack rappers – Tinny
- The club of 8 Ghanaian stars to have entered Billboard Chart in 48 years
- FRA! Band, Kyekyeku & Ghanalogue Highlife to tour Spain after winning ‘Vis a Vis’
- Video: Hitz FM’s DJ Bridash drops visuals for ‘Strong Bond’