Okyeame Kwame has advised his fellow musicians to get alternative sources of income to augment their music revenue.
Speaking on Adom FM the Rap Doctor as he is also known, said because the royalty system does not pay in Ghana, “musicians can’t rely solely on music for the livelihood.”
"Elsewhere, if you produce one music, you get a lot from royalties but the case is different in Ghana. That is why you need other income streams to cushion you," he said.
Okyeame Kwame added, "everybody knows Amakye Dede is also into farming, Kojo Antwi has a hotel, Daddy Lumba is into salt business. You can't always be on top so you need a backup."
He made this statement when he was asked if he would allow his children to do music.
Many actors, actresses, and musicians have been seen over the years doing different things aside their professions.
Actress Yvonne Okoro in an interview on Hitz Daybreak with Andy Dosty said she has other businesses including real estate. She is also the host of the cooking show ‘Cooks and Braggarts.”
Actor John Dumelo has also ventured into farming and actress Fella Makafui has a wine shop and clothing shop. Some musicians like Sarkodie own shops that sell their clothing brands.
According to Okyeame Kwame, he will not approve if his children decide to do full-time music.
He explained in the music industry, an artiste will not always have a smooth sail financially, so, his children will need another source of money a side job to support themselves.
Okyeame Kwame who is preparing to release his Made in Ghana album, recently released the second single from the album.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Music right owners to receive ¢900k from GHAMRO
- I went to university without SHS education- Joe Mettle reveals struggles
- New video: Sefa drops stunning ‘Shuga’ video
- God’s presence will be felt at ‘Wind of Revival’ – Joe Mettle promises
- Video: I won't invite 'people' to my wedding – Lilwin
- Steve Bedi to headline PAMA Festival 2019
- Ben Brako tops Global Music Charts with 'Shame and Scandal'
- Bible isn't against Marijuana, stop preaching against it – Rev. Abbeam
- Burna Boy deserved his BET award – Davido
- Cardi B pleads not guilty to assault
- Michelle Obama and Stephen Fry help drive audiobook boom
- Unemployment cause of increased nudity - Vicky Zugah
- Consistency and not hits alone make a good artiste - eShun
- Video: ‘I cannot say Medikal is a fraud boy’ - Strongman
- Don’t marry a woman who cannot cook – Kwesi Arthur's dad to son