Celebrated rapper, Sarkodie, has recounted how he suffered abuse at the hands of a guardian during his childhood.
The artiste, who took his turn on ‘This Is Gospel’ with Franky 5 on Hitz FM, opened up on the uncomfortable experience while stressing his faith in God in those difficult times.
According to him, his father once left him in the care of an elderly woman in Achimota who maltreated him.
“I spent a lot of my life at Mile 7...those were some dark times for me...I went through a whole lot...I didn’t know where my mum was and I didn’t know where my dad was…Dad took me to the woman to stay with her,” he recounted.
“We were like seven people living in a [small room]...the maltreatment, as a child I think if you were living with your mum, this won’t be the situation…But I did survive that and that made me who I am,” he continued.
The rapper stated his abusive home made him always want to stay in his school even after school closes.
“I used to panic when I heard the closing bell from school...I wished school will just go through on to the next day,” the artiste recounted.
Sarkodie indicated that these experiences influenced the composition of his ‘Mile 7’ song released in 2014.
“People who know Sarkodie know a song called ‘Mile 7 saga’ which was a situation that happened in Mile 7. God bless whoever I was living with at that time because I think she didn’t know better…These are times that people could take their lives,” he added.
The BET award-winner also revealed on ‘This Is Gospel’ that he is an ardent listener of the show hosted by Franky 5.
Sarkodie spoke highly of the show and added that he had felt unqualified to be a guest on the radio program.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Video: Medikal brings the heat as he sells Africa on Tim Westwood
- Gospel singer criticises Stonebwoy for endorsing secular songs in church
- Video: Cast of 1998 hit TV show 'Taxi Driver' cast back the years
- Buju Banton sings of the only law to obey in the world
- I learnt how to drive on 'Taxi Driver' - Psalm Adjeteyfio reveals
- The warrior of love - Unpacking Samini’s 'Untamed' Part 1
- Video: Ashesi University founder goes ‘crazy’, dresses like female
- Video: Kofi Mole quits school to pursue music
- Photo: Rocky Dawuni, Cabum finally smoke peace pipe
- Adopting French as Ghana’s second language ‘disrespectful’ – Okyeame Kwame
- If I don’t win any award at 3Music Awards I will pull a 'Shatta Wale' - Medikal declares
- No other Ghanaian music beats highlife - Kyekyeku
- We were once celebrated in Diaspora because of Highlife – Bessa Simons
- I won’t release any song until Mahama wins 2020 elections – Mzbel
- Video: Help stop depreciation of cedi – Samini urges gov’t