Over the last couple of years, Africa’s biggest digital music service, Boomplay has made music more accessible to music fans and successfully gained over 38 million users worldwide.
In Ghana, the service is fast becoming popular amongst music fans for its excellent service quality and music artistes who earn revenue from their music streams.
Boomplay recently released some statistics which reveals interesting trends and facts on the user listening habits and general music listening culture in Ghana.
In 2018, Ghanaian fans streamed music over a billion times on the service, an increase from previous years.
There was also a total of 119 thousand User Generated playlists.
Bhimnation’s President, Stonebwoy, took the top position as the most streamed artiste of the year by number of plays.
His iconic album Epistles of Mama also successfully sits on top as the most streamed album of the year.
He also maintains the top spot as the most trending artiste on the service followed by the Rockstar Kuami Eugene.
King Promises mega hit CCTV sits as the most streamed song of the year. The artiste also sits as 3rd on the list of Top Artste of the year after Shatta Wale who takes the second position on the list.
“You are Great” by Steve Crown sits undefeated as the top most trending song of the year, followed by “Angela” by Kuami Eugene and “Mani Me” by Stonebwoy.
A closer look at the statistics also reveals interesting insights on Ghana’s favourite genres.
Afropop and Afro-fusion remain number one most listened to genre.
Christian and Gospel music comes in at 3rd followed by Hip Hop and Rap.
See the full breakdown below:
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Video: Medikal brings the heat as he sells Africa on Tim Westwood
- Gospel singer criticises Stonebwoy for endorsing secular songs in church
- Video: Cast of 1998 hit TV show 'Taxi Driver' cast back the years
- Buju Banton sings of the only law to obey in the world
- I learnt how to drive on 'Taxi Driver' - Psalm Adjeteyfio reveals
- The warrior of love - Unpacking Samini’s 'Untamed' Part 1
- Video: Ashesi University founder goes ‘crazy’, dresses like female
- Video: Kofi Mole quits school to pursue music
- Photo: Rocky Dawuni, Cabum finally smoke peace pipe
- Adopting French as Ghana’s second language ‘disrespectful’ – Okyeame Kwame
- If I don’t win any award at 3Music Awards I will pull a 'Shatta Wale' - Medikal declares
- No other Ghanaian music beats highlife - Kyekyeku
- We were once celebrated in Diaspora because of Highlife – Bessa Simons
- I won’t release any song until Mahama wins 2020 elections – Mzbel
- Video: Help stop depreciation of cedi – Samini urges gov’t