Rapper and Hiplife artiste, Martin King Arthur, popularly called Kofi Kinaata, has revealed he has restricted how much he raps, because of the language he speaks.
According to the Takoradi based artiste, rapping in Fante, the major local language spoken in the Central and Western Regions of Ghana, makes it difficult for his fans in other regions to understand the stories he tells.
“I tell my stories through music but it’s no use raping when people do not get the concepts and/or the meaning of my lyrics,” Kofi Kinaata told Andy Dosty on Daybreak Hitz on Hitz FM.
He explained he had to take up singing, with a mixture of English and Fante, to help fans unfamiliar with the Fante rap understand what he is communicating.
Kofi Kinaata is not the only artiste in Ghana who had had to change or incorporate another languages into their songs. Rapper Sarkodie who raps in Twi after a few years had to add English to his lyrics to give his international fans a depth into his songs.
Also, rapper Edem who proudly raps in Eve also takes up Twi or English in an effort to widen his fan base.
When Kofi Kinaata took up singing, he served Ghanaians with one of his greatest hits ‘Susuka’ and ‘Confession’. Although both songs contain some Fante raps, they were not as dominant as is found in his other artistic works.
But the Takoradi-based artiste remains admired for the life-teaching lessons laced in the songs. In 2016, ‘Susuka’ earned him the Best Songwriter Award at the Vodafone Ghana Music Awards (VGMA).
Other songs he is known for include, ‘Sweetie Pie’, ‘Single and Free’, ‘Illegal Fishing’ and ‘Play’.
The Fante Rap god as he is affectionately called said he had reservations about singing but his fans have grown to love him more.
Although he has not completely stopped rapping, Kofi Kinaata, stated the singing has become a part of him and his style.
“My strength is my lyrics, so I want everyone to understand what I am trying to communicate. Since my fans love the singing, I am good,” he added.
Kofi Kinaata is out with another song titled, ‘Adam and Eve’. He told Andy Dosty the song is for fans who have requested for love songs.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Photos: Kinaata, Mama Zimbi, Capt. Smart, others wow fans as models
- Beyoncé, Meghan Markle finally meet at 'The Lion King' premiere
- Miss Ghana winners trend after being labelled "ugly"
- Why Yvonne Nelson won’t take up political office
- Video: Afia Pokua’s take on girls patronising ‘Mama Gee’s’ 'sexual enhancers'
- Being a first-time mum slowed me down – Yvonne Nelson
- ‘Strika' makes formal complaint against 'duping' handlers
- Support Patapaa he is talented – Kofi Kinaata
- Adom Fm Music Chart (Week 27): DopeNation tops chart with ‘Zanku’
- Video: Strika cries foul, accuses handlers of duping him
- If you are struggling in life, Stonebwoy has a song for you - Tuffseed
- Language barrier restricts my rap – Kofi Kinaata
- Davido, Chris Brown to collaborate on new song
- R. Kelly ‘arrested on federal sex charges,
- Tourism Authority partners The Multimedia Group for Miss Heritage Global