A deepfake video of Jon Snow apologizing for the final season of ‘Game of Thrones’ – saying, “When the Starbucks cup is the smallest mistake, you know you f–ked up,” has gone viral.
The video titled “Breaking: Jon Snow finally apologized for Season 8” was posted late last week by the Eating Things With Famous People channel on YouTube, and had racked up 1.25 million views by Sunday.
In the video, Snow, played by Kit Harington, references how a coffee cup was accidentally left on a table in front of Daenerys Targaryen (played by Emilia Clarke) in episode 4 of the final season, which was widely panned by fans. Another editing mistake saw Jamie Lannister’s formerly chopped-off hand mysteriously grow back.
Deepfake Snow says, “It’s time for some apologies. I’m sorry we wasted your time. I have more lines in this video than I had in the last season. I’m sorry for that. And I know nothing made sense at the end.
“When the Starbucks cup is the smallest mistake, you know you f–ked up. We take the blame. I’m sorry we wrote this in like six days or something. Now… let us burn the script of Season 8. And just forget it forever. F–k Season 8!”
The film comes after Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg became the latest victim of deepfake, a video doctored using AI to make it appear someone is saying something they never said.
Facebook has, however, taken a neutral stance on deepfakes and has allowed the Zuckerberg video to remain on its platform Instagram. Sheryl Sandberg is expected to address the issue and wider concerns about the spread of misinformation during her keynote at the Cannes Lions Festival of Creativity on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, the real Harington has been more defiant in the face of critics of the final season of the hit HBO show.
“Whatever critic spends half an hour writing about this season and makes their judgement on it, in my head they can go f–k themselves,” he told Esquire, “Because I know how much work was put into this.”
More than 1.6 million people have “signed” a Change.org petition demanding a remake of the last season “with competent writers”. However, there are four prequel spinoffs in the works at HBO, with one reportedly already filming in Belfast, Ireland under the working title “Bloodmoon”.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- R. Kelly in solitary over mortal fear of other inmates
- Ed Sheeran goes to numbers one, three, four on UK chart
- Ghana praised for supporting Vis-à-vis Festival
- English language did trick for ‘Be Lifted’ penetrating Africa - MOG
- Show evidence of new factories – John Dumelo charges gov’t
- Video: I’d love to settle in Ghana after retirement- Tim Godfrey
- Ark band performs live on Joy FM’s Cosmopolitan Mix
- Creative Arts Council, media pay courtesy call on Ghana Embassy in Spain
- Listen: 'Already' by Beyoncé ft Shatta Wale
- Storm Energy partners Silverbird to premiere Lion King
- FaceApp: Celebs fall in love with AgeChallenge
- Cobby Raymond releases Kojo Antwi inspired song
- MUSIGA has ¢70,000 locked up in Menzgold - Bessa Simons
- Nicki Minaj hints on signing Ghanaian act
- People aren’t celebrating GuiltyBeatz's prod. on Beyoncé's album – Ameyaw Debrah