Although things are improving in the music industry and some artistes such as Sarkodie, Stonebwoy and Shatta Wale are believed to be making millions of cedis with their craft, rapper EL says it is not possible for any Ghanaian artiste to make a fortune solely from music.
“Music is just a means to an end. You cannot leave a legacy through music. It is actually the businesses you use your music for. How much can you sell an album or a song in Ghana? Any artiste who says he made a fortune only through music is a liar,” he told Showbiz recently.
According to the Koko hitmaker, not even the many shows Ghanaian artistes brag of can bring them such huge money.
“Forget about the shows because I have mounted every show in Ghana and they don’t pay that much. The money we get from shows is peanuts; it only lasts for a month or two.”
“No artiste in Ghana can tell me he built a house or made a big fortune with an album or a particular song. I challenge any musician to come and contest me. It is how you direct your music into other businesses,” he said.
EL revealed he was involved in other businesses hence the reason he has been on the low for a while.
Asked if it was difficult for a famous musician to bounce back after a long break, EL said it was easy if you have money.
“Money does everything now. Just see the right DJs and pay them well. In a matter of weeks, your song will be the number one on every playlist. Talent doesn’t really count these days; if you don’t have money and the right people to push your music forget about making a hit song,” he said.
Asked to choose his three favourite rappers, EL who is known for songs such One Ghana, Obuu Mo, Shelele, Mi Naa Bo Po, Kaa Bu Ame, Overdose, Ayayaa and Hallelujah said there are really good rappers in Ghana.
“Apart from myself who is the best rapper in Ghana? I have more than 10 rappers who are amazing,” he stated.
On his dating life, EL revealed that he was dating a beauty queen who he loves a lot. “I am dating a beauty queen and it is official. We love each other and at the right time Ghanaians will know who she is,” he said.
More Entertainment Headlines
- Ladies think I am a 'womaniser' - Nana Boroo
- Kumasi yearns for more of Luv FM's Corporate Groove
- How Tobi proposed to me – Becca reveals as they mark first anniversary
- Video: Thousands throng Shatta Wale, Tinny’s ‘Loud in Bukom’ concert
- Video: If police arrest you for smoking weed, just beg - Shatta Wale tells fans
- R Kelly misses court hearing in Chicago after transport mix-up
- Duchess of Sussex's TV drama Suits jokes about her royal role
- Video: Mum told me Reggie Rockstone sounded like a porn star’s name
- Van Vicker jabs Kofi Asamoah for saying blacks can't be wise as whites
- Videos/Photos: Steve Harvey visits Cape Coast Castle, gets emotional
- Nigerian comedian, Klint da Drunk involved in accident
- Video: Emotional McBrown recounts 20-year struggle to have a child
- Ghanaian actors are too comfortable - Moesha Boduong
- Video: Comedian Steve Harvey in Ghana for Year of Return
- Pius wins hearts with dance moves at Chicago’s Ghanafest 2019