Rival reggae and dancehall artistes, Stonebwoy and Shatta Wale, are currently in police custody over a brawl Saturday night at the 20th edition of the Vodafone Ghana Music Awards (VGMAs).
Joy News sources say the two artistes are being held at the headquarters of the Accra Regional Police Command on Sunday for interrogation.
Camps of the two rival artistes clashed on stage while Stonebwoy was about to give a speech after winning the coveted Reggae/Dancehall Artiste of the Year at the music awards last night.
The brawl started when Shatta Wale (Charles Nii Armah Mensah) walked up to the stage with his multitude of fans while Stonebwoy was about to give a speech for the award.
Although some have said the My Level hitmaker climbed up the stage with his fans to congratulate Stonebwoy for the award, others say they were there to heckle Stonebwoy.
The confusion that ensued was witnessed by millions of Ghanaians watching the show.
Stonebwoy, known in private life as Livingstone Etse Satekla, also pulled a gun on stage in what some believe he did in self-defence.
Before his arrest, Shatta Wale had posted on his Twitter handle that the fight on stage was a disgrace to Ghana’s music industry.
S.H.A.T.T.A. W.A.L.E.— SHATTA WALE (@shattawalegh) May 19, 2019
THE MOST WANTED 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂😂
BUT U AINT GOT SHIT ON ME NIGGA !!!!
ITS A SHAME TO GHANA MUSIC..
POLICE WILL ARREST YOUR ARTISTE ...
NO ONE BIG PASS THE LAW ..
Stonebwoy, however, apologised for the brawl when he came back on stage.
Meanwhile, police have arrested one person suspected to have used pepper spray, during the brawl.
Speaking to Joy News, the Director of Operations at the Command, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Kwasi Ofori, said the pepper spray could have demobilised everybody in the hall, including the police hence his arrest.
“That one is a very dangerous thing. In such occurrences we are professionals and need to avoid stamped or using force,” he explained.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Video: I won't invite 'people' to my wedding – Lilwin
- Steve Bedi to headline PAMA Festival 2019
- Ben Brako tops Global Music Charts with 'Shame and Scandal'
- Bible isn't against Marijuana, stop preaching against it – Rev. Abbeam
- Burna Boy deserved his BET award – Davido
- Cardi B pleads not guilty to assault
- Michelle Obama and Stephen Fry help drive audiobook boom
- Unemployment cause of increased nudity - Vicky Zugah
- Consistency and not hits alone make a good artiste - eShun
- Video: ‘I cannot say Medikal is a fraud boy’ - Strongman
- Don’t marry a woman who cannot cook – Kwesi Arthur's dad to son
- Partnering musicians as a producer is key – Jayso
- First edition of Miss United Continents, Ghana launched
- David Bolton releases visuals for ‘Odo Fofro’ featuring Samini
- Nominees for 2019 Hospitality Awards unveiled