Rival musicians, Stonebwoy and Shatta Wale, have been released on bail after they were held overnight for the violence that marred 2019 Vodafone Ghana Music Awards.
The two are to appear in court at a yet-to-be-determined date, the Accra Region Police Command indicated, Monday.
Stonebwoy born Livingstone Este Satekla and Charles Nii Armah aka Shatta Wale were arrested Sunday following the scuffle that erupted on stage between their camps after Stonebwoy was announced the winner of the Reggae/Dancehall Artiste of the year.
Just when Stonebwoy, who was picking up the award for the fifth time, was about to deliver his acceptance speech for the award, Shatta Wale started walking towards him on stage.
As he approached the stage, blows started flying between Stonebwoy’s entourage and Shatta Wale’s team. Stonebwoy pulled out a gun on stage during the scuffle as some of his team members try to shield the gun.
Read also: VGMA@20: MUSIGA condemns 'shameful behaviour' of Shata Wale, Stonebwoy
Police and security personnel rushed to the stage to prevent the brawl from escalating. The fight disrupted the Awards for almost 30 minutes.
One other person identified by the police as Nii Amoo, who was seen discharging pepper spray in the auditorium, has also been arrested and is assisting the police with investigations, the police statement said.
The statement issued by Head of Public Affairs at the Accra Region Police Command, DSP Effia Tenge, also condemned the behaviour of the musicians and promised music lovers that “it will handle the case with the needed attention it deserves.
Meanwhile, Officers from the Accra Region Police Command have retrieved the pistol Stonebwoy brandished following a search conducted at the home of the dancehall artiste.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Video: I won't invite 'people' to my wedding – Lilwin
- Steve Bedi to headline PAMA Festival 2019
- Ben Brako tops Global Music Charts with 'Shame and Scandal'
- Bible isn't against Marijuana, stop preaching against it – Rev. Abbeam
- Burna Boy deserved his BET award – Davido
- Cardi B pleads not guilty to assault
- Michelle Obama and Stephen Fry help drive audiobook boom
- Unemployment cause of increased nudity - Vicky Zugah
- Consistency and not hits alone make a good artiste - eShun
- Video: ‘I cannot say Medikal is a fraud boy’ - Strongman
- Don’t marry a woman who cannot cook – Kwesi Arthur's dad to son
- Partnering musicians as a producer is key – Jayso
- First edition of Miss United Continents, Ghana launched
- David Bolton releases visuals for ‘Odo Fofro’ featuring Samini
- Nominees for 2019 Hospitality Awards unveiled