Celebrity blogger, Ameyaw Debrah has tipped Stonebwoy as possibly the “biggest loser” following Saturday’s brawl with arch-rival Shatta Wale at the Vodafone Ghana Music Awards.
He said Stonebwoy; born Livingstone Etse Satekla “has more going for him” in terms of international recognition and the violence could damage the relationship with his associates.
“Most of these international people, these things tend to affect their affiliation with you,” Mr Debrah told Kojo Yankson on the AM Show on the Joy News channel Monday.
He added that the reggae/dancehall artiste’s team must manage the effects of the scuffle to save his image.
Clash at VGMA
Stonebwoy pulled a gun on stage in the midst of a scuffle when he went to pick up his award for Dancehall artiste of the year – a fifth time consecutive.
Shatta Wale known in private life as Charles Nii Armah Mensah and his entourage moved onto the stage when the ‘Mane me’ hit singer was about to give his acceptance speech causing misunderstanding between the two rival camps.
After the dust settled, Stonebwoy apologised for the disturbances when he went back on stage to pick his second honour for the night.
The clash caused some iconic figures at the Accra International Conference Centre (AICC) to vacate and go home.
Speaking on the extent of rivalry between the two dancehall acts, Ameyaw Debrah noted that the genre of their music cannot be linked to the violent nature of the fan bases.
He said if there was the same bipolarity in a different genre, the story would have been the same.
Kofi Xerda, another blogger who was on the AM Show, however, disagreed. He believes the violent nature of the rivalry is as a result of blind copying.
He said dancehall is perceived to be associated with violence in Jamaica where it originates from, causing the ‘importers’ to copy same; albeit blindly.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Adom FM Music Chart (Week 24): Kwesi Arthur's ‘Nobody’ makes it to the top
- Court orders police to file Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale trial documents
- Patoranking explains why he allows nudity in videos
- Cuba Gooding Jr. rants about groping allegations
- D-Black drops much anticipated ‘Smoke & Mirrors’ EP
- Video: My mom and I were abandoned by my father – Nsromma star
- It will be difficult going back to school – Kuami Eugene
- I’m a shopaholic, I need prayers – Jackie Appiah
- Abraham Attah to star in Birdman’s film
- Lena Headey didn’t like Cersei’s ‘Game of Thrones’ death scene
- Girlfriends, side-chicks of Black Stars players should be allowed into their camp – Mzbel
- Duchess Meghan nominated for World Fashion Award
- Video: Do politics if you want Ghana to move forward – A Plus
- Pushing foreign genres will not sell Ghana - Mikki Osei Berko to artistes
- “You can’t be serious” - Kwesi Arthur's dad reacts to his plan to marry at 35