It is rare to see artistes taking on national issues that have nothing to do with the creative arts industry but once in a while these musicians surprise Ghanaians.
Takoradi-based rapper, Kofi Kinaata, has joined in the number of musicians who are ready to use their power to influence the society when it comes to implementations of policies.
Kofi Kinaata on May 20, released his new song ‘illegal fishing’ to help increase awareness of the closed fishing season.
The Ministry of Fisheries and Aquaculture Development in collaboration with the Fisheries Commission, announced the closure of the season for artisanal fishing from Wednesday, May 15 to Saturday, June 15, 2019.
The decision is aimed at reducing the over-exploitation of fish stocks in Ghana’s waters. It also forms part of measures to regenerate Ghana’s fast-depleting fish stocks.
However, some fisherfolks have complained that dynamite fishing, transhipment, light fishing and other illegal fishing methods, are still in force even after the announcement.
According to them, if these illegal fishing methods are still in place, this year’s closed season will be meaningless.
This project between Kofi Kinaata and Ministry of Fisheries, is to help discourage illegal fishing and fishing methods while promoting the need to obey the government’s order till the appointed time.
In the video shot at a coastal area, Kofi Kinaata advises against using chemicals in fishing. He calls on people to protect the water bodies to help secure the water for the future generation.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Video: I won't invite 'people' to my wedding – Lilwin
- Steve Bedi to headline PAMA Festival 2019
- Ben Brako tops Global Music Charts with 'Shame and Scandal'
- Bible isn't against Marijuana, stop preaching against it – Rev. Abbeam
- Burna Boy deserved his BET award – Davido
- Cardi B pleads not guilty to assault
- Michelle Obama and Stephen Fry help drive audiobook boom
- Unemployment cause of increased nudity - Vicky Zugah
- Consistency and not hits alone make a good artiste - eShun
- Video: ‘I cannot say Medikal is a fraud boy’ - Strongman
- Don’t marry a woman who cannot cook – Kwesi Arthur's dad to son
- Partnering musicians as a producer is key – Jayso
- First edition of Miss United Continents, Ghana launched
- David Bolton releases visuals for ‘Odo Fofro’ featuring Samini
- Nominees for 2019 Hospitality Awards unveiled