Seasoned actress and media personality, Grace Omaboe, popularly known as Maame Dokono, is not happy Ghanaians are not celebrating late broadcaster Maame Afia Konadu who passed away last week.
“I am surprised that Ghanaians are not making noise about Maame Afia Konadu, this woman has achieved a lot when it comes to radio. She dealt with social issues for many years and the noise about her is not what I expect.
“We make a lot of noise when a prominent person dies and I feel the same should be done for Afia Konadu,” Maame Dokono said on Rainbow Radio.
According to Maame Dokono, she heard of Maame Afia's death on May 2 and it was just a few people talking about her which didn't make her happy.
“This is a woman I have admired for a very long time and I expect Despite Group of Companies to dedicate a whole week to celebrate her. I will personally appeal to Mr Kwame Despite to make sure every presenter at Despite Group uses two minutes of their airtime to make a little noise about her,” she said.
Maame Dokono said the death of Ma Afia as she was affectionately known had taught her to be humble all the time.
“Honestly I was shocked when I heard of her death and one thing that came to mind is to be humble all the time because we will all pass away one day,” she said.
Maame Dokono, 73, said she remembers when Ma Afia celebrated her 65th birthday with the patients of the Accra Psychiatric Hospital and she really admired what she did.
“I sometimes wonder what will be said about me when I am gone and I want to use this opportunity to tell everyone to live a good life and stay out of trouble just like Afia Konadu,” she said.
Maame Afia Konadu, real name Henrietta Twum hosted ‘Wo Haw Ne Sɛn?’, ‘Mpom Te Sɛn’ and ‘Asomdwee Nkomo’ on Peace FM for years.
A former teacher, she worked with the Ghana Broadcasting Corporation (GBC) before moving to Despite Group of Companies when it started Peace FM at Mile 7 in Accra.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Video: VGMA@20 - Ebony still reigns, no Artiste of the Year for 2019
- Video: I'm going to limit the comedy, I'm a father of twins now - Funny Face
- VGMA: Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale banned indefinitely, stripped of all awards
- Shatta Wale withdraws from Ghana Music Awards scheme
- You can be a star today but a criminal tomorrow - Gemann to Shatta Wale, Stonebwoy
- Cardi B postpones concert over plastic surgery woes
- Newly crowned 'Artiste of the Decade' gives artistes lessons on self-control
- Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale plead not guilty, granted ¢50k bail each
- Ex-Doe feels vindicated over Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale brawl
- It will be illogical for me to deliberately ruin VGMA@20 – Shatta Wale
- 3 Wills purportedly written by Aretha Franklin found in her home
- Video: Kofi Kinaata advises against illegal fishing in new song
- VGMA@20: Call for prosecution of Shatta Wale, Stonebwoy alone not right – Mr Logic
- What the law says: Use of guns, riotous behaviour - Case of Shatta Wale, Stonebwoy
- BET Int celebrates Sarkodie’s Artiste of the Decade victory