Okyeame Kwame has advised his fellow musicians to get alternative sources of income to augment their music revenue.
Speaking on Adom FM the Rap Doctor as he is also known, said because the royalty system does not pay in Ghana, “musicians can’t rely solely on music for the livelihood.”
"Elsewhere, if you produce one music, you get a lot from royalties but the case is different in Ghana. That is why you need other income streams to cushion you," he said.
Okyeame Kwame added, "everybody knows Amakye Dede is also into farming, Kojo Antwi has a hotel, Daddy Lumba is into salt business. You can't always be on top so you need a backup."
He made this statement when he was asked if he would allow his children to do music.
Many actors, actresses, and musicians have been seen over the years doing different things aside their professions.
Actress Yvonne Okoro in an interview on Hitz Daybreak with Andy Dosty said she has other businesses including real estate. She is also the host of the cooking show ‘Cooks and Braggarts.”
Actor John Dumelo has also ventured into farming and actress Fella Makafui has a wine shop and clothing shop. Some musicians like Sarkodie own shops that sell their clothing brands.
According to Okyeame Kwame, he will not approve if his children decide to do full-time music.
He explained in the music industry, an artiste will not always have a smooth sail financially, so, his children will need another source of money a side job to support themselves.
Okyeame Kwame who is preparing to release his Made in Ghana album, recently released the second single from the album.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- VGMA@20: Oragnisers fail to announce 'Artiste of the Year' due to Shatta, Stonebwoy fight
- VGMA@20: Sarkodie crowned ‘Artiste of the Decade’
- VGMA@20: “You are my son” – Amakye Dede crowns Kuami Eugene
- “I’m really sorry” - Stonebwoy apolgises for pulling gun at VGMA@20
- Video: VGMA@20: Stonebwoy pulls gun as Bhim Nation, Shatta Wale camps clash
- Photos: Fashion moment on the Red Carpet of VGMA@20
- VGMA@20: Check out winners at 20th Vodafone Ghana Music Awards
- VGMA@20: Live updates of 20th Vodafone Ghana Music Awards
- I’m rooting for Kuami Eugene to win ‘Artiste of the Year’ – Okyeame Kwame
- Video: Watch 20th Vodafone Ghana Music Awards live
- Arnold Schwarzenegger drop-kicked at South Africa event
- It's fraud when artiste don't perform live – Samini
- Staying united secured our success - Daughters of Glorious Jesus
- Kwesi Arthur, Chris Attoh, Dumelo, others headline week's entertainment news
- Give underground artistes slots on big shows – Rapper Ikroniq pleads