The Accra Region Police Command has arrested one person suspected to have used pepper spray, during the Shatta-Stonebwoy brawl at the 20th anniversary of the Vodafone Ghana Music Awards.
Speaking to Joy News, the Director of Operations at the Command, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Kwasi Ofori, said the pepper spray could have demobilised everybody in the hall, including the police hence his arrest.
“That one is a very dangerous thing. In such occurrences we are professionals and need to avoid stamped or using force,” he explained.
A brawl erupted between Stonebwoy and Shatta Wale camps at the 20th anniversary of the Vodafone Ghana Music Awards, Sunday, after the former was announced the winner of ‘Reggae/Dancehall Artiste of the Year’ for the fifth time.
Just when Stonebwoy was about to deliver his acceptance speech for the award, Shatta Wale started walking to him on stage, unclear what his intentions were.
Just as he approached the stage, blows started flying between Stonebwoy’s entourage and Shatta Wale’s team.
Police and security personnel could be seen rushing to stage to prevent the brawl from escalating.
Stonebwoy pulled out a gun on stage during the scuffle as some of his team members tried to shield the gun.
The fight disrupted the Awards for almost 30 minutes. Some guests, including actress Jackie Appiah, rushed out of the venue.
Detailing what happened, Joy News’ MzGee said, gunshots were fired in the air although it was unclear from who.
Some people were disappointed in the security for not being swift.
“I blame the security, you are here to work you don't need to allow anybody or whatever that had to happen on the stage because at the top there you guys had to take charge of things,” one man told Joy News.
ACP Kwasi Ofori said he believes the actions of the police during the breakout, was right and in line with contemporary policing.
Watch video of the fight below:
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Why we were not allowed to meet Akufo-Addo - Dark Suburb explains
- People want Miss Ghana queens to look like slay queens - Inna Patty
- Video: I’m not ugly, my mirror doesn’t tell me so - Miss Ghana 2019
- 2019 Golden Movie Awards: Full list of nominees released
- 5 honours, 26 competitive awards to be given out at 2019 Golden Movie Awards
- New video alert! - Rocky Dawuni premieres 'Elevation'
- Video: Shatta Wale explains why he is king
- Panafest International Expo launched in UK
- Too many music talents hypnotised by Afrobeat popularity - David Bolton bemoans
- Video: My music was getting bigger – Ohemaa Mercy explains why she quit teaching
- Video: Funny Face claims police assault during movie shoot
- Cardi B rape accusations resurfaces
- Regent University student wins 2019 edition of 'Live Inside Win the Ride'
- Spanish hosts dance to highlife songs by Kyekyeku & Ghanalogue band
- R. Kelly in solitary over mortal fear of other inmates