Rapper Sarkodie has been crowned the ‘Artiste of the Decade’ at the 20th edition of the Vodafone Ghana Music Awards.
In a hotly contested 2019 edition of the Awards, the rapper beat competition from colleagues, who have equally worked over the past decade, to win the award.
The ‘Artiste of the Decade’, the second time it is being awarded since the inception of the awards scheme in the year 2000, was one of the keenly contested categories this year.
R2Bees, Joe Mettle, No Tribe & Nacee, Shatta Wale, Okyeame Kwame, Stonebwoy, Samini, Efya, and Becca were all eyeing that award.
After weeks of intense debate, Sarkodie, who is the most decorated artiste at the Ghana Music Awards - winning the ‘Artiste of the Year’ twice - walked home with the bragging rights.
He joins veteran musician Kojo Antwi, who won the first Artiste of the Decade award – as the second recipient of the award.
Sarkodie himself was not at the venue to receive the award. His manager, popularly known as Angel, received the award on his behalf.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- R. Kelly in solitary over mortal fear of other inmates
- Ed Sheeran goes to numbers one, three, four on UK chart
- Ghana praised for supporting Vis-à-vis Festival
- English language did trick for ‘Be Lifted’ penetrating Africa - MOG
- Show evidence of new factories – John Dumelo charges gov’t
- Video: I’d love to settle in Ghana after retirement- Tim Godfrey
- Ark band performs live on Joy FM’s Cosmopolitan Mix
- Creative Arts Council, media pay courtesy call on Ghana Embassy in Spain
- Listen: 'Already' by Beyoncé ft Shatta Wale
- Storm Energy partners Silverbird to premiere Lion King
- FaceApp: Celebs fall in love with AgeChallenge
- Cobby Raymond releases Kojo Antwi inspired song
- MUSIGA has ¢70,000 locked up in Menzgold - Bessa Simons
- Nicki Minaj hints on signing Ghanaian act
- People aren’t celebrating GuiltyBeatz's prod. on Beyoncé's album – Ameyaw Debrah