Rival musicians, Stonebwoy and Shatta Wale, have been released on bail after they were held overnight for the violence that marred 2019 Vodafone Ghana Music Awards.
The two are to appear in court at a yet-to-be-determined date, the Accra Region Police Command indicated, Monday.
Stonebwoy born Livingstone Este Satekla and Charles Nii Armah aka Shatta Wale were arrested Sunday following the scuffle that erupted on stage between their camps after Stonebwoy was announced the winner of the Reggae/Dancehall Artiste of the year.
Just when Stonebwoy, who was picking up the award for the fifth time, was about to deliver his acceptance speech for the award, Shatta Wale started walking towards him on stage.
As he approached the stage, blows started flying between Stonebwoy’s entourage and Shatta Wale’s team. Stonebwoy pulled out a gun on stage during the scuffle as some of his team members try to shield the gun.
Read also: VGMA@20: MUSIGA condemns 'shameful behaviour' of Shata Wale, Stonebwoy
Police and security personnel rushed to the stage to prevent the brawl from escalating. The fight disrupted the Awards for almost 30 minutes.
One other person identified by the police as Nii Amoo, who was seen discharging pepper spray in the auditorium, has also been arrested and is assisting the police with investigations, the police statement said.
The statement issued by Head of Public Affairs at the Accra Region Police Command, DSP Effia Tenge, also condemned the behaviour of the musicians and promised music lovers that “it will handle the case with the needed attention it deserves.
Meanwhile, Officers from the Accra Region Police Command have retrieved the pistol Stonebwoy brandished following a search conducted at the home of the dancehall artiste.
More Entertainment Headlines
- Video: Mum told me Reggie Rockstone sounded like a porn star’s name
- Van Vicker jabs Kofi Asamoah for saying blacks can't be wise as whites
- Videos/Photos: Steve Harvey visits Cape Coast Castle, gets emotional
- Nigerian comedian, Klint da Drunk involved in accident
- Video: Emotional McBrown recounts 20-year struggle to have a child
- Ghanaian actors are too comfortable - Moesha Boduong
- Video: Comedian Steve Harvey in Ghana for Year of Return
- Pius wins hearts with dance moves at Chicago’s Ghanafest 2019
- 'What Do Girls Really Want' – Sister Derby, Freda Rhymz, others school Lord Paper
- Checkout Becca's birthday message from husband
- I deserve to be among top ten best rappers – Tinny
- It's unfair to compare young rappers to older ones – Hammer
- Anger as Kenyan copyright society pays musicians $24 as royalties
- Nana Ama McBrown celebrates 42 birthday with hot photo
- Video: Presby Church rejected my National Service posting because of my hairstyle – KiDi