Audio By Carbonatix
Chelsea's Ghanaian midfielder Michael Essien has denied drink-driving charges against him, one of his entourage told AFP.
The Sun newspaper this week reported that a Chelsea insider and witness claimed Essien was arrested for drunk driving in the early hours on Monday after leaving a nightclub.
The tabloid said that the 24-year-old was pulled over by police in his black Range Rover, and took a breathalyser test. When the result proved positive, he was arrested.
A spokeswoman for London's Metropolitan Police declined to confirm whether Essien was arrested, as per police policy not to name individuals arrested, but told AFP that at approximately 5:10 am (0410 GMT) on Monday, "officers in Southwark (south London) stopped a vehicle driving in Old Kent Road."
"Officers spoke with the driver and subsequently arrested the 24-year-old man on suspicion of drink driving. He was taken into custody and later bailed to return pending further inquiries - next due on a date in July."
But a member of the player's entourage firmly denied the report, telling AFP that Essien had been taken to a police station to provide a blood sample after an inconclusive breathalyser test.
He said after Essien had passed the blood control he was allowed to leave the police station and drove home in his own car.
Essien missed Wednesday's Champions League semi-final first leg against Liverpool due to suspension.
Essien, who was named the BBC's African Footballer of the year in January in a poll in which 12,000 listeners voted, had reportedly gone clubbing in south London with his friends on Sunday night, before being arrested Monday morning.
Essien's spokeswoman was quoted as saying: "He is very upset and does not believe he was over the limit. Michael is a responsible person who would never drive if he thought he would be impaired by alcohol."
Credit: AFP
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
GHS condemns attacks on staff, pledges enhanced security measures
8 minutes -
Ghana must strengthen cybersecurity amid online exploitation concerns – Gloria Amenu
30 minutes -
Demand TikTok remove explicit videos of victims – Gloria Amenu urges gov’t
57 minutes -
Gender Ministry must provide psychological care for exploited women – Gloria Amenu
1 hour -
Trump lashes out at Supreme Court justices over tariffs ruling
2 hours -
Refrain from mass marketing or public promotional campaigns on virtual assets – BoG to VASPs
3 hours -
Government bans land transit of cooking oil; orders crackdown on customs complicity
3 hours -
NPA engages industry stakeholders on 24-hour economy pilot in petroleum sector
4 hours -
Ablakwa outlines key bilateral agreements with Burkina Faso to boost trade, security and border cooperation
4 hours -
Ghana, Burkina Faso deepen security ties after terrorists kill 8 Ghanaians in Titao
5 hours -
Luv FM launches 7th edition of Primary Schools Quiz; pupils urged to embrace Ghanaian culture
5 hours -
Nollywood star Michael Dappa stuns fans with big chop ahead of new film role
5 hours -
NPA slams gas ‘shortage’ rumours; assures over one month’s cover
6 hours -
BoG, SEC order the removal of all crypto billboards within 48 hours
6 hours -
Majority Leader fires back at Sefwi protesters
7 hours
