Assembly members of the Fanteakwa District Assembly have unanimously approved the suggestion that 60 per cent of the sponsorship package for teacher-trainees be diverted to sponsor pupil teachers who are pursing the Untrained Teachers in Diploma in Basic Education Programme (UTTDBE).
As a result, full time teacher trainees would receive only 40 per cent of the sponsorship package of the Assembly.
The District Chief Executive, Mr Ebenezer Ofoe Caesar, made the suggestion when he addressed the ordinary meeting of the Assembly at Begoro on Wednesday.
Mr Caesar said the objective of the sponsorship package has been defeated since the teacher-trainees sponsored by the Assembly refuse to accept posting to rural areas in the District, while some even completely refuse to come back to the District after completing their studies.
He said the pupil teachers had stayed in the various communities for years and they only needed to improve upon their level of education as teachers to help raise the standard of education in the District.
The Presiding Member of the Assembly, Mr Adjabeng Kwasi Ntori, urged the social service sub-committee to draw comprehensive modalities for the implementation of the sponsorship package for the pupil teachers.
- Nigerian jailbreakers re-arrested in Ghana after crossing Volta River
- I asked Akufo-Addo to forgive me for opposing Bawumia as running mate – Ama Busia
- Akuapem Poloo’s child is with me, he doesn’t know what is going on – Actress’ lawyer
- NDC must focus on healing the horse, not selecting a rider – Kunbour
- 12 leading clubs confirm formation and format for breakaway Super League
- Whether dumsor is back or not, current power outages must be resolved immediately – Prof Adei
- ‘A tenant may be evicted for a month’s arrears’ – Rent Control
- 7 times Ghana has beaten Nigeria to the prize
- Attorney General supports my motion for appeal – Lawyer for Akuapem Poloo reveals
- Second dose of Covid-19 vaccine can be taken 4 weeks after the deadline stated – GHS
500 Covid-19 vaccines expire due to low patronage in some regions
Fire razes over 30 shops at Kumasi Central Market
Afienya, Ashaiman, Katamanso and other areas in Accra to have interrupted supply – Water Company
2 drug traffickers excrete 191 pellets of cocaine, heroin at Nigerian airport
Japan Motors launches New Nissan Sunny in Ghana
Security man in trouble for allegedly defiling 4-year-old girl
NIC commends Allianz Insurance and UBA on bancassurance partnership
WHO data shows taking vaccines 12 weeks after first dose more potent – Dr Kwame Amponsah-Achiano
Landlords who demand over 6 months rent advance from tenants could be jailed – Rent Control
2021 global food policy report: Rebuilding food systems after Covid-19
Dr Theresa Mannah-Blankson and Haruna Alhassan: Ghana’s post-pandemic Eurobond ‘success’
eTranzact secures Enhanced PSP license from BoG
Man remanded for defiling 3-year-old girl
Linda Dor stopover becomes hell for passengers as thieves raid VIP bus
Government interest costs on domestic borrowings fall again; T-Bills target also drops 6.6%