The Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) says it has closed down the East Legon branch of Marwako restaurant, following widespread reports of food poisoning on social media.
In a tweet on Thursday, the FDA stated that the move to close down the restaurant is to enable the Authority to conduct investigations into customers’ complaints.
“The FDA has taken notice of complaints from the public about the suspected food poisoning at the East Legon Branch of Marwarko Restaurant.
“We have closed down the restaurant and together with other relevant agencies, started investigations”, the tweet said.
The FDA has taken notice of complaints from the public about the suspected food poisoning at the East Legon Branch of Marwarko Restaurant. We have closed down the restaurant and together with other relevant agencies, started investigations.— FDAGhana (@fdaghana) May 12, 2022
Marwako, a fast-food eatery in Accra has been trending on Twitter after several Twitter users complained of food poisoning after eating there.
The Twitter tirade started after a user, Edward Elohim, shared that the fast-food service had served him and several others with food that is contaminated.
Several other users rehashed his statement, accusing the fast joint of putting them in a similar situation since the weekend.
Many have since been hospitalised with many of the alleged victims referencing the eatery’s East Legon branch as the possible source of their discomfort.
Marwako @Marwakofastfood gave me and many others in this hospital the worst food poisoning ever.— Edward Elohim (@deezydothis) May 11, 2022
Yesterday dawn was a horror show for me. Vomiting, running and all that. I was then rushed to legon hospital where I was put on 2 bags of drip and some other medication. My friend also visited the hospital where he was put on 4 bags of drip. 4— Omar Gyabo Abdullah (@omargyabo1) May 12, 2022
This is crazy because I’ve at least 5 children turn up at the ER since Sunday who went out to eat at Marwako over the weekend and they’re all on admission https://t.co/aHmOK9kUsE— Afua (@Afua_Bour) May 11, 2022
Some users, therefore, urged the Food and Drugs Authority to take action against the company.
Meanwhile, some affected customers have hinted at filing a class action suit against the fast-food service.
The eatery is yet to release a statement to address the concerns.
How Marwako is still in business after how that Lebanese supervisor physically assaulted a Ghanaian female employee is what baffles me.— piè.siè (@kwabena_piesie) May 11, 2022
If you ate at Marwako this weekend look sharp cos there’s money to be made ei. Too many people— alleunammE💊🎤🎶 (@Dr_nuellie_) May 11, 2022
But what is wrong with Marwako ? They poisoned all their customers this weekend and they saying nothing about it whiles people suffer in hospitals?? Wtf— TWO TERTY 🇳🇬🇬🇭 (@Aboa_Banku1) May 11, 2022
Avoid Marwako & save your life. I had food poisoning & it has maltreated me since Sunday morning. It was the coleslaw that did me in. I didn’t buy anything else from there. @fdaghana please act quickly.— joe▪︎ (@jjooeegg) May 11, 2022
I never understood the love for Marwako food anyway. I hope all those poisoned come together and sue them.— Yeshuwa (@bybentil) May 11, 2022
They have some serious management issues, from the staff abuse sometime back & now this.
The whole Accra is reeling from food poisoning or something from Marwako and you people are literally quiet about it.— aku.eth (@AkuFromSakumono) May 11, 2022
It’s a lot of people now in hospital
East Legon branch yeah? I just admitted a man and his son. https://t.co/HjSXKIAbwY— lys (@Fab_Lys) May 11, 2022
- Peter Nanfuri’s name will be written in gold in Ghana’s history – Akufo-Addo eulogizes former IGP
- Social media reacts to Bawumia’s ‘One student, One laptop’ announcement
- NPP group in Ashanti angry with Napo over his ‘anti-party’ comments
- Playback: Akufo-Addo addressed Ghanaians on Covid-19, IMF
- ‘This too has passed’ – Akufo-Addo on Covid-19 pandemic
- Stop insulting citizens if you want to be president again – Nana Akomea tells Mahama
- IMF bailout won’t immediately end Ghana’s difficulties – Akufo-Addo
- Independent Power Producers reject government bid to restructure $1.58bn debt
- Don’t join NPP if you don’t believe in ‘Development in freedom’ motto – Pianim
- Independent Power Producers threaten to cut power supply by June 30
- Until we receive our monies; we won’t cook – school feeding caterers
- Chelsea announce two-year appointment of Mauricio Pochettino as new head coach
- Strike still in force amid talks with government – JUSAG insists
- I either stay objective on Sarkodie issues or go silent – Kobby Kyei
- NPP flagbearership race: Supporters pick form for Dr Afriyie Akoto
- Yamoah Cadman wraps up 2023 NCAA-II outdoor season as All-American, other Ghanaians impress
- UBA Ghana shares its rich culture on Africa Day
- Ghana records 1,462 Covid-19 related deaths in three years
- Ken Addy worried live musical instruments will fade out
- Barca legends Alba, Busquets bid emotional farewell to Camp Nou
- Supreme Court dismisses land ownership claim by Teshie family
- Edem Agbana commends Adentan and Ring-Road Central Rotaract clubs for their donation to Tadzewu M/A Basic School
- Ashanti Region Super Zonals: OKESS and St. Louis triumph as T.I Ahmadiyya lose top spots
- Fitch Solutions maintains 2.9% growth rate forecast for Ghana 2023
- Let’s unite to remove E-levy, Covid-19 levy – Ablakwa urges MPs