Audio By Carbonatix
The Egyptian Football Association (EFA) has been asked to provide security guarantees following Ghana’s request to move next month’s World Cup playoff out of Cairo because of safety fears.
FIFA last Friday responded to Ghana’s request to relocate the match to a neutral venue by giving the EFA an October 28, deadline to provide comprehensive security assurances for the second leg of the playoff tie between the countries. The aggregate winners will qualify for next year’s finals in Brazil.
FIFA said it would consider switching the venue for the November 19, match from Cairo if they are not satisfied with the security plans.
“Although all our hopes and wishes sincerely expect that the security situation in Egypt will go back to normal in a definite manner we would need to consider alternatives in the event that this were not the case in November,” FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke wrote in a letter to both associations. “We will keep monitoring the situation.”
Ghana asked FIFA to move the venue because of the political unrest in the land of th Pharoahs.
Egypt has been thrown into turmoil following the ouster of Islamist President Mohamed Mursi on July 3. A move that has prompted his Muslim Brotherhood movement to organise daily demonstrations in cities across the country, with some escalating into attacks on the security personnel.
“We are seriously concerned about the security and safety of our delegation and spectators if the match would be played in Egypt as events in the country pointedly indicate that our delegation could be exposed to danger as the violence and insecurity in the country continues relentlessly,” the Ghana Football Association (GFA) wrote to FIFA last week.
Ghana, tomorrow, host the first leg of the play-off in Kumasi.
Latest Stories
-
Divers recover bodies of seven Chinese tourists from bottom of Lake Baikal
53 minutes -
From windstorm to resilience: How Wa school is growing climate protection
2 hours -
Reclaiming the Garden City: Dr. Kwame Adinkrah urges Kumasi to rein in billboard proliferation
2 hours -
Bursar of Ghanata SHS arrested for alleged diversion of student food supplies
2 hours -
Trump says he will increase global tariffs to 15%
2 hours -
Bogoso-Prestea mine records first gold pour after 24-month shutdown
2 hours -
Ghana–ECOWAS talks end with renewed push for women and youth political inclusion
3 hours -
Interior Minister receives Hudai Foundation food donation for prison inmates during Ramadan
3 hours -
UBIDS to benefit from pre-fabricated US$6.6m 1k capacity classroom project
3 hours -
Interior Minister launches Automated Fire Safety Compliance System to enhance public safety
3 hours -
Africa must lead climate intervention conversation – Experts
3 hours -
Ghana hosts high-level ECOWAS meeting to boost women and youth political participation
4 hours -
Canada looks to trade talks after US Supreme Court tosses Trump’s tariffs
5 hours -
Ghana, Burkina Faso sign 7 cooperation agreements to deepen bilateral ties
5 hours -
Duraplast supports Accra sanitation drive with donation of 20 waste bins
5 hours
