Fire razed seven shops at the Wa ‘Kejetia’ market in the early hours of Saturday, officials say. The owners of the shops and their relatives were in tears at the time the Ghana News Agency (GNA) visited the scene at about 0800hrs.
Chief Security Officer of the Wa ‘Kejetia’ Market, Mr Nayaru Mahamud, attributed the cause of the fire to some wood packed directly behind the wall of the building containing the shops.
According to the Chief Security Officer the food vendor failed to properly quench the fire on some used firewood at the close of work on Friday evening, leading to the fire outbreak.
Mr Mahamud said at 0100hrs he saw smoke emanating from that direction and decided to check, only to find out that the firewood packed behind the wall had caught fire and had already spread to the roof of the building.
“When I saw that I quickly called my other colleagues who rushed and came and I instructed them to start pouring water on the fire while I called the personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS),” he said.
Divisional Officer III (DO III), the Upper West Regional Public Relations Officer of the GNFS, Mr Martin Bakobie, in an interview with the GNA, commended the Security men at the market for their vigilance in spotting the fire early and contacting the fire service.
He said they received a call at about 0110hrs and commended men of the Service for their timely intervention to save the entire market from burning.
“The training we gave to the security men at the market to serve as fire wardens has indeed paid off,” he said.
Mr Tahiru Issahaku Moomin, the Wa Municipal Chief Executive (MCE), who visited the scene, sympathized with the affected persons and assured them of support.
He said the Assembly would collaborate with the GNFS and stakeholders to address the safety challenges in the market. On the implementation of safety recommendations made by the GNFS, the MCE said he was yet to see the proposals.
However, he said, after reading the GNA report on safety concerns, he instructed the Coordinating Director to find the document for them to take action.
Madam Ama Tawiah, a Sister of Business Man ‘Tee Pee,’ said her brother’s electrical appliances warehouse was burnt up in the fire.
Madam Akua Atwiniwaa, one of the affected persons, said the fire destroyed several crates of eggs, adding that the incidence would affect the repayment of a loan she took from the bank to invest in her business.
- One feared dead, several others injured after accident at Legon underpass
- Citi FM journalist, Caleb Kudah allegedly picked up by National Security operatives
- Leadership crisis at Ghana Rugby: Chairman Herbert Mensah suspended indefinitely, set to be removed from office on June 8
- Former British High Commissioner to Ghana, Craig Murray jailed for contempt in the UK
- Fire guts new Kejetia Market
- Ghana drops to 95th in 2021 World Happiness ranking
- NSMQ 2021: Tamasco and 3 others secure tickets to Accra on day one of Northern Regional qualifiers
- Dr Mavis Owureku Asare: Wesley Girls’ no fast policy is not about religion
- Chinua Achebe’s ‘Things Fall Apart’, ‘No Longer at Ease’ and ‘Arrow of God’ are being adapted for television
- Our scholars in Cuba are broke because they insist on table-top payment – GNPC Foundation
Nursing aide gets 7 life terms for killing 7 elderly VA patients with insulin
Ghana to host African Swimming and Open Water championships
Chief breaks ground for multipurpose Nkawkaw Palace
Double whammy for Ghana in Old Mutual Amazing Voices
RTI Law is to empower citizens and to fight corruption – RTI Coalition
Mental disorder after childbirth is real – Victim recounts
Transgender Cameroonians jailed for 5 years
Dr Prince Hamid Armah: Exploring Akufo-Addo’s commitment to education; Policy, spending, and outcomes
Politicisation of security agencies cause of insecurity in the country- Sam George
Museveni takes oath for 6th term
Ghana has not done enough to get girls out of the streets – Development consultant
China’s population grows to 1.41 billion people
Uganda deploys troops ahead of Museveni inauguration
Banks cannot be blamed for not accepting new Voter ID cards – Association of Bankers
9-year-old boy dies after being ‘struck by lightning’ on football field