Audio By Carbonatix
The Conference of Heads of Assisted Senior High Schools (CHASS) has urged parents and guardians to assist with the feeding challenges in senior high schools.
CHASS had earlier appealed to the Ghana Education Service (GES) to reconsider the reopening of high schools, citing unresolved financial issues, including the government's non-payment for perishable foods provided for students last year. However, the GES rejected this appeal.
Five days after schools reopened, the National Secretary of CHASS, Primus Baro, told JoyNews that the situation in high schools is dire, with many institutions having to ration food.
He therefore encouraged parents to support their children with food items for use at school to complement the government's provision.
"I encourage parents, and I have already advised my PTA to this effect, to let their children bring food like gari, shitor, and sugar to supplement whatever the school provides. I urge parents across the country, as the food situation has still not improved in the past two and three years, and it has worsened at this particular time," he said on JoyNews' Newsdesk on Wednesday, January 8.
He revealed that the situation is particularly severe in schools in northern Ghana.
"Food supplies are not reaching the schools. In places like Upper West, Upper East, and the Northern regions, apart from rice, the schools have no stable food supplies. Oil is completely unavailable. For example, in my school, I currently don't have a single drop of oil, so my matron has been using margarine to replace oil for cooking. I don't have maize or beans—only rice and some gari," he added.
He stressed that "We are still relying on the old practices of sending students with what they have, and that’s the only reason we allowed the students to return. Otherwise, the situation is still far from ideal."
The Free Senior High School (SHS) programme, initiated by the previous Nana Akufo-Addo-led government, has faced numerous challenges over the years, including insufficient classroom and dormitory facilities, inadequate food, and more.
Critics have also argued that the programme has led to an increase in the number of SHS graduates, but not necessarily in the quality of education.
However, the new president, John Mahama, before winning the election, promised to revitalise the programme rather than abolish it.
Latest Stories
-
New Juaben South MP Okyere Baafi condemns Burkina Faso attack, demands probe into government response
1 minute -
A/R: Unknown assailants desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
12 minutes -
What is wrong with us: Africans know mining, but do not understand the business and consequences of mining
35 minutes -
Ghana Sports Fund begins grassroots field assessment in Volta North, uncovers talent and infrastructure gaps
37 minutes -
Persons with disabilities are not objects of pity — Volta Social Welfare Director urges mindset shift
48 minutes -
Burkina Faso attack: Desist from sharing gory images of victims – Muntaka
1 hour -
Political scientist supports NDC dual-role directive, calls for legal backing
1 hour -
GH¢5.7bn haemorrhage: Ghana’s tomato crisis exposed as Chamber of Agribusiness unveils 2030 rescue plan
1 hour -
Fifi Kwetey slams opponents of directive on dual roles as ‘greedy’ and ‘mercenaries’
2 hours -
Analyst condemns victim-shaming in Russian exploitation saga
2 hours -
Ghana’s Blue Economy in 2026: Taking actions now, leveraging blue resources for sustainable growth
2 hours -
I was once a ‘Bob no rank’; Everybody will have their turn — Afenyo to TESCON members
2 hours -
Tony Aidoo urges NDC to focus on policy communication, not personal praise for Mahama
2 hours -
Akuafoɔ Anidasoɔ: A new dawn for Ghana’s farmers
2 hours -
NTC announces eligibility criteria and registration details for 2026 GTLE 1
3 hours
