Audio By Carbonatix
Some of the France players may not want to face South Africa in their final World Cup Group A game on Tuesday following a row over the expulsion of striker Nicolas Anelka, beleaguered coach Raymond Domenech said.
Domenech told a news conference on Monday that he backed the French Football Federation (FFF)'s decision to expel Anelka after the player insulted him and attacked the ‘imbecility' of the squad for boycotting training on Sunday.
"It is a possibility" that some players may not want to play against the hosts in Bloemfontein, said Domenech, who has faced a rebellion from his players over the past 48 hours.
"We will have to take it into account when I compose the team with my staff," the 58-year-old told a packed news conference tent outside the Free State Stadium.
One of the players missing from Domenech's starting line-up could be captain Patrice Evra, who did not attend the pre-match news conference that normally features both the coach and the skipper.
That could be an indication that Evra, who led the players' protest against the FFF's decision to kick Anelka out of the squad after he crudely insulted Domenech at halftime of a 2-0 defeat by Mexico last week, might not play today.
"The sanction was absolutely justified and I fully support the Federation's decision (to send Anelka home)," Domenech said on Monday.
"Nobody can allow himself to behave that way."
Domenech had harsh words to denounce the players' decision not to train: "It was an aberration, an imbecility, a stupidity with no name," he said.
The coach urged his players, facing scorn and derision from fans and media for bringing shame to their sport and country, to show pride against South Africa.
"The reputation of the France team is at stake in that next match,"said Domenech, looking combative but not angry.
"The image we will leave behind much depends on what will happen tomorrow (Tuesday) on the pitch," he added.
Source: Kickoff.com
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana considers extradition option in intimate image leak case – Gender Minister
10 minutes -
Bawumia launches NPP rebuild, announces new policy unit ahead of 2028
11 minutes -
We’re strengthening cross-border and cybersecurity collaboration to combat online abuse – Gender Minister
14 minutes -
Obama clarifies views on aliens after saying ‘they’re real’ on podcast
19 minutes -
Russia killed opposition leader Alexei Navalny using dart frog toxin, UK says
22 minutes -
OMCs commence fuel price increases: GOIL sells petrol at GH¢10.24 as diesel rises to GH¢12.83
23 minutes -
Modern, Vertical, Visionary: PUNA officially launched in Accra
33 minutes -
Bishop Joel Duncan-Williams pays courtesy call on Central Regional Minister during evangelical visit to UCC
33 minutes -
Mother of Alexei Navalny says poison finding confirms he was murdered
49 minutes -
Gov’t approves cabinet directives following review of over 8,000 land leases nationwide
51 minutes -
In an uncertain trade landscape, cooperation still delivers
54 minutes -
7 Ghanaian traders killed in Titao terrorist attack buried in Burkina Faso
1 hour -
Northern teachers protest ‘fake appointment’ claims
1 hour -
Greater Accra Regional Minister hasn’t sanctioned any selective demolitions of billboards – GARCC replies AAG
1 hour -
UniMAC-Journalism and Media Students Association (JOMSA) launched
1 hour
