The White House has insisted it believes Russia still poses a threat to the US amid confusion over comments made by President Donald Trump.
Mr Trump appeared to disagree with US intelligence when he responded "no" to a question about whether Russia was still targeting American elections.
Later, White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said Mr Trump was saying "no" to answering further questions.
It comes amid a flurry of criticism over his recent comments about Russia.
"The president and his administration are working very hard to make sure that Russia is unable to meddle in our elections as they have done in the past," Mrs Sanders said at a news briefing on Wednesday.
What's the latest confusion?
Hours earlier, ABC News reporter Cecilia Vega asked the president whether Russia would still target American elections.
After he shook his head and replied, "Thank you very much, no", she again asked: "No? You don't believe that to be the case?"
He appeared to respond again: "No".
But Mrs Sanders rejected that interpretation later in a news briefing, telling reporters the White House was taking action to prevent any future meddling.
"We wouldn't actually spend as much time and effort as we are if we didn't believe that [Russia is] still looking at us," she said.
Later, Ms Vega tweeted that the president had been looking directly at her when he answered.
- Man arrested for threatening to release nude videos of late brother’s wife
- ‘I’m extremely regretful’ – KiDi apologises for ‘inappropriate and unkind’ old tweets
- T Bills, short-term securities will not be affected by Ghana’s debt restructuring – US-based Associate Professor
- Every single day Akufo-Addo remains President, the country drifts into peril – Dr Amoako Baah
- Land acquisition: Here is what you missed on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show
- Pastor jailed for life after planning coup and black genocide
- My husband left me for a ‘sugar mummy’ after 9 months of marriage – Woman shares experience
- We will still be a prime supplier of Mercedes-Benz services in Ghana – Silver Star
- 2 sustain gunshot wounds at mining firm in Samreboi
- SIM re-registration: National Security has warned Akufo-Addo against blockage – Deputy Minority Chief Whip
- Police confirm another murder orchestrated by Mankessim suspects
- Trevor Noah is leaving ‘The Daily Show’
- Afghan blast kills 19 teenagers sitting practice exam
- Edmund Addo returns to Sheriff Tiraspol after botched summer transfer
- Chinese employer who allegedly slashed throat of Ghanaian employee to be arraigned today
- Elikem Asenath Naa Obiorkor Commey
- State TV off-air amid gunfire in Burkina Faso
- King Charles III: New coins featuring monarch’s portrait unveiled
- Africa’s biotechnology heroes celebrated on OFAB Day
- Queen Elizabeth II died of “old age” – Death certificate reveals
- Uganda gives green light to organ transplants
- Peace deal’ signed by Nigerian presidential rivals
- $100m of Ghana’s oil money unaccounted for – Minority raises alarm
- Mozambique police urges ‘knives and machetes’ war on jihadists
- Mankessim murder: Accused persons allegedly confess to killing 3 more people