It was another day of shame for boxing officiating, says an executive member of the Ghana Boxing Authority(GBA)
The unhappy Authority are set to file a protest against the split points decision that denied Ghanaian Boxer Richard Commey a World title as he lost the IBF lightweight bout against American Robert Easter Junior in Reading, Pennsylvania
In a close contest in which the Ghanaian dropped the American on the canvass in the eighth round insists their campatriot was given a raw deal.
Alhaji Tawfif, an executive member of the GBA told the Graphic Sports that the authority was shocked by the decision – which he desribed as ''daylight robbery'' – as it was obvious Commey won on the night.
“All those who watched the fight including the GBA officials were convinced that Commey was the aggressor, who left his opponent with no option than to hold him (Commey) throughout the fight.
“It was another day of shame for boxing officiating and we of the GBA are obliged to state our position and let the world know that the unanimous decision was a daylight robbery”, he added.
Alhaji Tawfik contended that Commey paid the price for the inability to stage the fight in Ghana.
“In fact, we had the opportunity to promote the fight in Ghana, but the GBA had no support from the Ministry of Youth and Sports.
“Had the fight been staged in Ghana the story would have been different”, he argued.
Commey is expected in the country tonight.
- Bongo scandal: Assembly withdraws ¢187k from contractor’s bank account without permission
- Intelligence Bureau arrests man with 656 ATM cards at KIA
- Hushpuppi – the Instagram influencer and international fraudster
- Dortmund’s Otto Addo to be appointed Black Stars assistant coach
- ARB Apex Bank investigates how Bongo Assembly withdrew money from account without owner’s approval
- Rwandan court finds ‘Hotel Rwanda’ film hero guilty in terrorism case
- Police to amend charges against Rev. Owusu Bempah and four others
- Milovan Rajevac announcement imminent after government, GFA execs approval
- Why single people smell different
- ‘Sometimes players don’t like it’ – Pochettino reacts to subbing off Messi
Agriculture and education will be a priority when approved – Tain DCE nominee
7 detained final year students of Sawla SHS denied bail
Francis-Xavier shares life story as Village of Hope celebrates 25th Anniversary
Board of Directors for Ghana Water Company inaugurated
Ejura shootings: Affected families submit Right to Information request for Committee’s report to President, Interior Minister
We should allow political parties to sponsor nominees in Assembly elections – Dan Botwe
Majority of the 260 MMDCE nominees should be confirmed within 10 days – Dan Botwe
Women entrepreneurs dominate private sector – Study says
Consciously plan for your retirement – Axis Pension boss urges
Akufo-Addo not required to choose MMDCEs from recommended list, selection process was only to aid him – Nana B
Ace Power Promotions Return With 4 Title Fights In Accra October 16
Black Queens bounce back in victory over Cameroon
Access Bank’s ‘Business Startup Challenge’ launched
West Blue Consulting Founder, Valentina Mintah joins Board of Kuenyehia Trust for Contemporary Art
Playback: PM Express discusses MMDCE nominations