Audio By Carbonatix
Ghana and China have signed a grant agreement for US$42.62 million for the implementation of economic and technical projects to be agreed on by the two sides for their mutual benefit.
Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta, and Chinese Ambassador Mr Shi Ting Wang, initiated the deal on behalf of their respective countries.
Commenting, Mr Ofori-Atta acknowledged the immense support of the Chinese government to Ghana over the years, especially in the areas of infrastructure, ICT, trade and investment, tourism and education, including Technical Vocational Education and Training.
He said government in the last three years has created an enabling environment for the private sector to flourish.
“We have introduced tax reforms, inflation is on the decline, interest rates are on the decline, and the exchange rate has also been relatively stable,” Mr Ofori-Atta said.
The Minister said the government’s fiscal consolidation efforts over the period have also yielded positive results with fiscal deficit declining from 6.5 percent of GDP in 2016 to 4.5 percent currently.
“We are hopeful that sustained improvements in the management of the economy will surely galvanise all the elements necessary for sustaining rapid economic growth and development of the country.
Our primary focus now is on consolidating these gains achieved so far by improving macroeconomic stability and building an inclusive society through a wide range of broad-based government flagship programmes,” Mr Ofori-Atta.
Mr Ofori-Atta said the future prospects of Ghana-China Cooperation looked bright, especially with the recent signing of the Africa Continental Free Trade Agreement and Ghana as the host country of the Secretariat.
On his part, Mr Shi Ting Wang said under the eight initiatives of the Beijing Summit it would contribute its quota to the goal of Ghana beyond Aid.
He pledged to work closely with government to bring a better life to Ghanaians, adding that the prospects for cooperation between China and Ghana would be broadened.
Latest Stories
-
We Condemn Publicly. We Download Privately — A Ghanaian Digital Dilemma
7 minutes -
Renaming KIA to Accra International Airport key to reviving national airline – Transport Minister
1 hour -
Interior Minister urges public not to share images of Burkina Faso attack victims
1 hour -
Unknown persons desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
1 hour -
I will tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
1 hour -
Ghana to host high-level national consultative on use of explosive weapons in populated areas
1 hour -
Daily Insight for CEOs: Leadership Communication and Alignment
2 hours -
Ace Ankomah writes: Let’s coffee our cocoa: My Sunday morning musings
2 hours -
Real income of cocoa farmers has improved – Agriculture Minister
2 hours -
I’ll tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
2 hours -
Titao attack should be wake-up call for Ghana’s security architecture – Samuel Jinapor
2 hours -
New Juaben South MP Okyere Baafi condemns Burkina Faso attack, demands probe into government response
2 hours -
A/R: Unknown assailants desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
2 hours -
What is wrong with us: Africans know mining, but do not understand the business and consequences of mining
3 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund begins grassroots field assessment in Volta North, uncovers talent and infrastructure gaps
3 hours
