Government secured a little above ¢862 million from the sale of the 5-year Treasury bond, slightly below the ¢1.0 billion target.
According to auctioning results by the Bank of Ghana, government accepted all the bids tendered in.
The interest rate was however 20.75%, higher than the 19.75% paid for the 2-year bond issued in February 2022.
The Initial Pricing Guidance was between 20% and 20.75%.
But Joy Business understands that the price of the debt instrument was in line with secondary market conditions, as investors demanded higher premium for the new issuance.
This is as a result of the rising inflation, the depreciation of the cedi and uncertainty about the Bank of Ghana’s policy rate which is creating a higher level of uncertainty about the direction of yields of Government of Ghana bonds.
Analysts, however, believe the amount raised was broadly expected given the absence of non-resident investors in the acquisition of the bond.
Presently, domestic interest payments accounts for about 78% of total interest rate payments.
With the prevailing upside risks to domestic interest rates, aggressive control of government spending is very important since the era of cheap money is over.
The 5-year bond will mature in 2027.
Absa, Black Star, CalBank, Databank, Ecobank, Fidelity, GCB, IC Securities and Stanbic Bank were the sponsoring firms or bond market specialists.
- Is IMANI now dictating to us how to run a country? – Gabby Otchere-Darko fumes
- SOEs who fail to present audited financial accounts to be sanctioned – Bawumia
- Ghanaians will soon praise us for going to IMF – Dr Afriyie Akoto
- As it happened: Kotoko dominates as Djiku wins Player of the Year award at Ghana Football Awards
- Ghana will be ungovernable if any IMF conditionality freezes wage increment – Prof Gyampo
- Some Hajj pilgrims demand refund after being left stranded for hours
- 2022 Ghana Football Awards: Sadio Mane wins Best African International
- Food is expensive but there can never be food shortage – Agric Minister
- Photos: Akufo-Addo, Mahama and others mourn wife of late General Akuffo, Emily Akuffo
- Samson’s Take: This will collapse a government in a serious country II
Livestream: The Law discusses justice delivery speediness
Throw out Deloitte’s factually deficient claims – Dram Oil to High Court
‘Mahama stuck by Seth Terkper’ – Gabby Otchere-Darko defends Ofori-Atta amid resignation calls
2022 Ghana Football Awards: Full list of winners
Some have made it their life mission to frustrate me – Barker-Vormawor
Some Hajj pilgrims demand refund after being left stranded for hours
IMF bailout will take pressure off Akufo-Addo to focus on positive things – Gabby Otchere-Darko
Photos: Akufo-Addo, Mahama and others mourn wife of late General Akuffo, Emily Akuffo
Amanda Ofori is out with a new single titled ‘Abba’
Adele: Emotion and simplicity are enough at comeback Hyde Park gig
Ghana will be ungovernable if any IMF conditionality freezes wage increment – Prof Gyampo
Samson’s Take: This will collapse a government in a serious country II
Manchester United: Cristiano Ronaldo wants to leave club this summer
Rafael Nadal apologises after Wimbledon third-round win ends on testy note
2022 Ghana Football Awards: Sadio Mane wins Best African International