Former WAFA midfielder, Lawrence Agyekum, says his best game during his time in the Ghana Premier League was the encounter between WAFA and Hearts of Oak in the last game of the 2020/21 season.
In the season being talked about, WAFA made history by finishing third in Ghana’s top flight, their best since making their debut in the league.
As part of achieving that, the Academy lads needed a win on the last day of the season to cement that position as Aduana FC were also not far behind.
But Agyekum turned out to be one of the best players on the day at the WAFA Park as the Sogakope-based side defeated the eventual league champions to claim that spot.
In an exclusive interview with Joy Sports, the 19-year-old didn’t shy away from picking that game when quizzed about his best game in the Premier League.
“The last game when the league was ending against Hearts of Oak,” he said.
“We won 1-0. We needed a victory in that game so we could seal the third position. I really tormented them. I gave them nightmares.”
The teenager also picked his goal against Karela United in that same season as the best he scored in the league.
“My best goal was against Karela United in Cape Coast. I dribbled past five players and I lobbed [the ball] over the goalkeeper.”
Agyekum currently plays for Red Bull Salzburg in the Austrian league after joining the club from WAFA in February 2022.
- My divorce drew me closer to God – New EC member Rev. Akua Ofori Boateng
- Russia ‘will bomb any country that arrests Putin’ – Former Russian president
- Beige Bank case: Nyinaku accused of issuing misleading investment certificates to unsuspecting customers
- I was praised for singing Teni’s song in church – New EC member
- ‘Hatred or truth’ – Woman’s message to son’s girlfriend shocks social media users
- Crackdown on fraudulent payrolls as Fair Wages and Salaries Commission hints at audit
- Directing CID to probe Jubilee House ‘galamsey’ claims could be plot to clear officials of wrongdoing – Dr Apaak
- Afena-Gyan turns down Black Meteors invitation for AFCON qualifier against Algeria
- AFCON 2023Q: Mohammed Salisu only fitness doubt ahead of Angola clash
- Proposed tax measures not new; will boost fiscal economy – Finance Ministry
- Government expects passage of 3 financial bills laid before Parliament
- Ghana v Angola: Jordan Ayew, Kudus start as Chris Hughton era begins
- The rising level of air pollution in West Africa
- Livestream: Parliament suspends debate on Akufo-Addo’s new Ministerial appointees
- Energy Ministry isn’t indebted to ECG; there was no disconnection of power supply – Egyapa Mercer
- 6-packs come with a risk of depression
- Fish farmers call for government support to address sector challenges
- Avoid appointments that give impression of jobs for boys and girls – Joyce Bawa Morgtari tells Akufo-Addo
- Man jailed 180 days for fondling minor’s breast
- Lynx signee, Kasar, releases first single ‘Oyibo’
- Cedi improves in value against dollar; $1 now ¢12.40
- Politicians’ quest to recoup investment in campaigns puts Ghana’s democracy at risk – Dr Pumpuni Asante
- NDC flagbearership race: Kwabena Duffour submits nomination forms
- Kelvynboy reveals how he benefitted from Tekno, Stefflon Don feature on ‘Down Flat’ remix
- Social media reacts to Afena-Gyan’s rejection of Black Meteors call-up