Audio By Carbonatix
The IAAF is "disappointed" by the small crowds at the World Championships in Doha but believes athletes are still enjoying a "positive experience", says its chief executive Jon Ridgeon.
Just 13,288 people watched Friday's session at the Khalifa International Stadium and attendances dwindled over the following two days.
Denise Lewis is among several current and former athletes to comment, saying it was "absolutely shocking".
"We want bigger crowds," said Ridgeon.
"Rest assured we are working really hard with the local organising committee to generate bigger crowds."
Speaking on BBC Two, he added: "I think one of the biggest challenges has been, if you look back to a couple of days ago, we did actually fill 65-70% of those available seats, but by the time the big finals came along later in the evening, actually a lot of the audience had gone home because the working day starts early the next morning.
"When you judge a championship, clearly the size of the audience and the atmosphere created is one really important element, but there are other elements as well, and I think we can all agree the athletics has been stunning."
The stadium holds 40,000 people but its capacity was cut to about 21,000 for the championships, which were awarded to Doha in 2014 ahead of Barcelona and Eugene in Oregon, USA.
Qatar was placed under an economic blockade by four of its neighbouring countries in 2017 and Ridgeon believes it has played its part on audience numbers.
"You must remember when this event was awarded six or seven years ago, it was always positioned as a celebration of athletics within the Middle East," he said.
"Clearly, geo-politics has shifted since, there is a blockade of this country from all the neighbouring surrounding countries and that has impacted.
Asked by host Gabby Logan if the IAAF was blaming the small crowds on the blockade, Ridgeon said: "We would like more people here, but you have to accept this is a small country. There are some 700,000 residents here in Doha, and it was always positioned as a celebration of the whole region.
"There would be an awful lot more people here if the blockade was not in place. The blockade is one of the factors."
He added: "I'm not blaming it, but it's one of the factors, but you have to understand the political challenges this country faces right now, which was never envisaged when this meeting was awarded."
In a statement earlier on Monday, the Doha 2019 organising committee said it was confident its "renewed efforts" would encourage more to attend the championships.
It revealed attendance had reached 70% and 67% on the first two days of the event but numbers fell to below 50% on day three, when Britain's Dina Asher-Smith won 100m silver behind Jamaican Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce.
"We are confident that our renewed efforts will encourage the local community to come and witness the stunning performance of the world's best athletes," said a spokesperson.
"The challenge we face with a competition schedule that is geared to support global TV viewership, is that some finals are not starting until the late evening. This impacts on the number of spectators remaining until the end of the session.
"We are confident with our additional communications, we will see more attendees for longer periods."
It added: "The pattern of the attendance so far follows the interests of the local community, with middle and long distance races pulling in the biggest crowds, rather than traditional sprint events.
"Our vision was for a first world championship in the Middle East. An IAAF World Athletics Championship that would welcome the world and connect to new fans. Despite facing unique challenges as hosts, in terms of the political blockade, that ambition remains.
"Whether it is understanding athlete performances in endurance events or stadium design, this championship is benefitting world sport and important progress is being made."
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
7 Ghanaian traders killed in Titao terrorist attack buried in Burkina Faso
8 minutes -
Northern teachers protest ‘fake appointment’ claims
13 minutes -
Greater Accra Regional Minister hasn’t sanctioned any selective demolitions of billboards – GARCC replies AAG
15 minutes -
UniMAC-Journalism and Media Students Association (JOMSA) launched
25 minutes -
MTN and CalBank collect 7,020 pints of blood in ‘Save a life’ drive
27 minutes -
Ken Agyapong’s camp denies breakaway party claims
32 minutes -
Photos: Mahama commissions new Ghana embassy chancery in Addis Ababa
33 minutes -
UniMAC committed to producing ethically grounded, socially responsible journalists – Dean
36 minutes -
Patrick Boamah casts doubts over gov’t’s plan to extradite a Russian suspect in sexual exploitation saga
41 minutes -
Advocacy group pledges to pursue cases of wrongful convictions
41 minutes -
Li Yang: China’s zero-tariff policy helps made-in-Ghana products expand into the Chinese market
45 minutes -
Russian Embassy in Ghana acknowledges reports on sexual exploitation case
53 minutes -
GNAT condemns violent attack on West Africa SHS teachers
57 minutes -
NAIMOS arrests armed thugs posing as Anti-Galamsey task force in Western Region
57 minutes -
Efya ties the knot with Nigerian singer Tomi Thomas
1 hour
