Referee of the game between Hearts of Oak and Elmina Sharks, Maxwell Kofi Owusu, has apologised over his performance after making some controversial calls.
Owusu was involved in the turning point of the game when he awarded a penalty to Hearts after it was deemed the Sharks defender prevented a goal with his arm.
However, replays suggested the ball came off the player’s shoulder, hence the decision shouldn’t have stood.
To make matters worse for Sharks, Isaac Donkor was sent off after aggressively protesting the penalty decision.
The subsequent penalty was missed by Victor Aidoo and should have been retaken after the linesman lifted his flag to signal the goalkeeper moved off the line. Owusu ignored and play continued.
The Phobians went on to win the game 2-0 and moved to second on the table.
Owusu in a social media post apologised for his mistakes during the game.
He said: “This was absolutely not a good decision.”
“I’m not proud of it. A lot of people have been hurt. I am hurt too.”
It remains unclear if there will be punishment for Owusu from the Ghana Football Association.
- Construction work by manufacturing company causing artificial earthquakes in Bortianor – Residents
- Shatta Wale showers dollars on Nana Ama Mcbrown
- Auditor General indicts former Nhyieso MP over failure to recover ¢500k of Assembly’s Common Fund
- Defence and Finance Ministers to answer questions in Parliament over Presidency’s hiring of private jet for foreign travels
- ‘I miss living life with you’ – T. B. Joshua’s wife marks his 58th birthday
- One of 2 robbers who attacked and robbed motorist on Fiesta Royale-GIMPA stretch arrested
- TUTAG to proceed with strike action despite NLC order
- #FixTheCountry: Leave social media, come and plant trees – Oti Regional Minister to campaigners
- GPL wrap: Hearts extend lead at top, King Faisal climb out of relegation zone
- I was slapped, burnt after Nkrumah was overthrown – Former lady-in-waiting to Fathia Nkrumah
Effutu paramount chief cautions trespassers against reserved lands
Euros On MGL: Poland v Slovakia betting preview
Euros On MGL: Scotland v Czech Republic betting preview
Ghana set to produce its own vaccine – Presidential Advisor on Health
Livestream: Day 9 – Appointments Committee vets Thomas Mbamba, Abdulai Abanga and 2 others
We are working with Political authorities to get Hudson-Odoi- GFA president
Nii Marmah Boye: Security at GIMPA; What the school must do
Auditor General indicts KMA over using Assembly’s Common Fund to pay judgment debt
Use digital platforms to reduce paper usage – Ursula
FixTheCountry case adjourned over late filing of documents
Playback: Foreign Minister to address the nation on Ghana’s election to UN’s Security Council, 59th ECOWAS meeting
Asantehene commends board and management of ADB for refocusing on its core mandate
GRA optimistic of addressing automation tax payment challenges by July
Euro 2020: Heart doctor’s Twitter thread on Christian Eriksen collapse is eye-opening
Sir John’s funeral: Government begins monitoring persons who participated – Nsiah Asare