Audio By Carbonatix
Human Rights Watch (HRW) has said India needs to cease "arbitrary restrictions" on internet and phone services.
The organisation said state governments had imposed 20 temporary internet shutdowns in 2017.
Authorities say they shut internet and telecommunications services to stop rumours during times of unrest.
But the rights group said arbitrary internet shutdowns "violated India's obligations under international human rights law".
Indian authorities frequently shut telecommunication services in Indian-administered Kashmir.
Earlier this month, the government in the western state of Maharashtra shut down internet services after protests led by farmers turned violent.
Meenakshi Ganguly, South Asia director at Human Rights Watch, said the authorities' concern about misuse of social media "should not be the default option to prevent social unrest".
"The lack of transparency and failure to explain these shutdowns only further the perception that they are meant to suppress nonviolent reporting and criticism of the government," she added.
The organisation, however, said that social media in India "has at times fuelled rumours leading to violence".
But it advised the government to not fully shut services during protests.
"Instead of fully shutting down networks, authorities can use social media to discourage violence and restore public order," it said.
Latest Stories
-
New Horizon Fun Games: Vice President calls for stronger national commitment to inclusion
57 minutes -
President Mahama commissions B5 Plus Steel Ball Mill and Manufacturing Plant to ignite industrial revolution
2 hours -
Fighters demand amnesty for cannabis convicts following massive policy shift
3 hours -
Don’t cancel the pension scheme for cocoa farmers
3 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: CJ’s ‘No Prima Facie’ ruling and Burkina Faso bloodshed
4 hours -
Trump says he is considering limited military strike on Iran
5 hours -
Strategic voices of the opposition: Miracles Aboagye’s field advocacy and Akosua Manu’s communication shape NPP’s path forward?
6 hours -
Trump plans new 10% tariff as Supreme Court rejects his global import taxes
6 hours -
Ghana can supply steel to entire West Africa if domestic steel industry thrives – Mahama
6 hours -
Gyakie appreciates media houses for continued support
7 hours -
Imprisonment isn’t hopelessness – Ahafo GTA Regional Director tells inmates
8 hours -
GH¢150m allocated for Black Stars’ 2026 World Cup preparations — Ernest Norgbey
8 hours -
Strong food policies will protect the Ghanaian consumer against Non-Communicable Diseases – Groups
8 hours -
JORVAGO marks 15 years in music with new single
8 hours -
The Republic of Uncompleted Dreams…
9 hours
