Audio By Carbonatix
Phillipe Coutinho says he is leaving boyhood club Vasco da Gama because he is "tired mentally" and his "cycle at the club has ended".
The former Liverpool and Barcelona midfielder was substituted at half-time after being booed by fans during Vasco's win on penalties over Volta Redonda last week.
Coutinho, who has 68 caps for Brazil, did not return to the bench in the second half to watch the remainder of the game.
In a lengthy, emotional statement on Instagram, the 33-year-old says he is leaving Vasco because "now is the time to take step back".
"I would never disrespect the fans, my team-mates and Vasco. I've never done that anywhere I've been. Those who know me know that," he said.
"At that moment, on the way to the locker room, I felt and realised that my cycle at the club had ended, and I didn't come back to prioritise my mental health.
"It hurts a lot. The truth is that I'm very tired mentally. With a tight heart, I understand that now is the time to take a step back and end this cycle in Vasco.
"I'm grateful for everything I've lived here. I'll take Vasco with me forever. In the chest. In history. In life."
Vasco have not confirmed Coutinho's departure, but BBC Sport have reached out for comment.
Coutinho has played 81 times and scored 17 goals for Vasco since rejoining for a second stint in 2024.
He started his career at Vasco, then joined Inter Milan and later moved to Liverpool in 2013.
He scored 54 goals in 201 games for the Reds before joining Barcelona for £142m in 2018.
He later had stints at Bayern Munich, Aston Villa and Al-Duhail before returning to Vasco.
"I chose to go back to Vasco because I love this club. I love everything that Vasco represents in my life," added Coutinho.
"Wearing this shirt was one of the most important choices I've ever made. And, in every training session, in every game, I gave my best. Always!"
Latest Stories
-
New Horizon Fun Games: Vice President calls for stronger national commitment to inclusion
8 minutes -
President Mahama commissions B5 Plus Steel Ball Mill and Manufacturing Plant to ignite industrial revolution
1 hour -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: CJ’s ‘No Prima Facie’ ruling and Burkina Faso bloodshed
3 hours -
Trump says he is considering limited military strike on Iran
4 hours -
Strategic voices of the opposition: Miracles Aboagye’s field advocacy and Akosua Manu’s communication shape NPP’s path forward?
5 hours -
Trump plans new 10% tariff as Supreme Court rejects his global import taxes
5 hours -
Ghana can supply steel to entire West Africa if domestic steel industry thrives – Mahama
5 hours -
Gyakie appreciates media houses for continued support
6 hours -
Imprisonment isn’t hopelessness – Ahafo GTA Regional Director tells inmates
7 hours -
GH¢150m allocated for Black Stars’ 2026 World Cup preparations — Ernest Norgbey
7 hours -
Strong food policies will protect the Ghanaian consumer against Non-Communicable Diseases – Groups
7 hours -
JORVAGO marks 15 years in music with new single
7 hours -
The Republic of Uncompleted Dreams…
8 hours -
Gov’t will not bow to pressure to restore old cocoa producer prices – Mahama Ayariga
8 hours -
Ghana Medical Trust Fund saves ICT tutor’s life
9 hours
