Former President Jerry John Rawlings believes Isaac Dogboe can replicate Africa's greatest boxer, Professor Azumah Nelson, after watching the young boxer knockout Ugandan opponent, Saturday.
Isaac Dogboe knocked out his opponent in the sixth round after a heavy blow sent the 'Ugandan Messiah' to the ground leaving him to crawl much to the excitement of the spectators at the Accra Sports Stadium.
In the earlier rounds, Kakembo was able to respond to Dogboe’s jabs but the combination of the left and right hooks were too swift for Kakembo to maneuver his way through in the long run.
When the former President mounted the stage to hand the title to Dogboe, his message to him was emphatically clear, “Carry on from where Azumah Nelson left off.”
"I am just trying to prove to you that Dogboe now has the responsibility to carry on from where Azumah Nelson left off. Let's give him all the support and all the good fights to make sure he captures the world Featherweight title," Mr Rawlings said.
He was also of the view that the featherweight division is a stronghold for Ghanaians and Dogboe can rightfully reclaim what he perceives belongs to Ghanaians.
"Just as the heavyweight division belongs to the United States of America and the African American because of their sizes, I have always known that the featherweight division belongs to Ghana. Fortunately or unfortunately it appears that this is one ground, one throne we would have to share with the British,” he said.
Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @JoySportsGH. Our hashtag is #JoySports
- Organised Labour rejects 18% salary increment
- Qatar 2022: “Kudus is currently the World Cup best player” – Prince Boateng
- Minority welcomes government’s decision to reintroduce road toll in 2023
- Government to reintroduce road toll in 2023
- Ofori-Atta has more integrity than 99% of politicians I know in Ghana – Prof. Stephen Adei
- How to check 2022 WASSCE provisional results
- 2023 Budget: TUC rejects government’s salary projection of ₵44.9m
- IMF confirms Ghana’s intention to conduct debt restructuring in 2023
- Ashanti Regional NSS Director suspended for verbally abusing a nurse
- Recent measures by government to revamp the economy commendable – Prof Adei
- Man and mistress involved in accident while chasing wife and her lover
- Lemonade Finance presents Delay in “Wo si woyε musician?”
- Hubtel extends operations to the Northern Region
- NACOC seizes Amphetamine tablets concealed in café worth $1.4m
- GRA to focus on Hospitality and Tourism Sector during festive season to rake in revenue
- COVID Levy: People feel scammed – Kofi Bentil
- Sam Jonah: Extractives, climate change and energy transition: what the future holds for Africa
- Darkovibes releases new single ‘Yao’
- Qatar 2022: Ghanaians want Black Stars to exact revenge on Uruguay
- WAEC releases provisional results for 2022 WASSCE; 8,486 candidates in trouble
- It’s not my fault Asamoah Gyan missed the penalty in 2010 – Luis Suarez
- Ashanti Regional Health Directorate engages stakeholders on Marburg virus prevention
- Conjugate vaccine in lessening typhoid burden in Ghana
- We still need to work hard to achieve our target – Otto Addo
- Ghana’s topmost CEOs to attend prestigious CEOs business networking cocktail