Actor John Dumelo’s strong support for the governing National Democratic Congress (NDC) and President John Mahama's government has never been in doubt.
From appearing in campaign adverts, jumping on campaign platforms to recently announcing that the NDC had fulfilled its promise to fix the power crisis (Dumsor) while presenting an award at the 2015 Ghana Movie Awards, John’s political stance and views were more than certain.
But now, the integrity of that support for the NDC is being questioned not by the NDC but by the opposition New Patriotic Party (NPP).
The issue of John Dumelo’s loyalty to the NDC has been the subject of intense debate on social forcing the charismatic actor to fight for political breath. Loyalty to one party could simply kill your career!
Last week, the fine actor tweeted that: “I have nothing against Nana Addo, but I only see one person being sworn in come January 2017 and it’s not him (Nana)”.
Harmless it might seem; but the comment by John, who is known for his roles on screen and not politics, has triggered a wave of uncomfortable debates between John and the party Nana Akufo-Addo leads, the NPP.
A Personal Assistant to the NPP Flagbearer, Francis Asenso-Boakye was swift to call the actor’s loyalty and credibility to question.
In a post on Facebook, Mr Asenso-Boakye reminded John of a meeting he held with Nana Addo where he declared his intension to support and campaigning for the NPP flagbearer.
He alleged that the actor said during a meeting some few months ago that he was “disappointed in the President [John Mahama] for supervising a corrupt and incompetent administration.”
“For which reason, you offered to go round the country and propagate the good message of Nana Akufo-Addo and the NPP,” Asenso-Boakye added.
Now caught in a political web and in attempt to free himself, John Dumelo replied in a tweet that, “I never met Nana Addo secretly. The last and only time I saw him was in 2014, 2 clear years ago. #ichoosejdm.”
Francis Asenso-Boakye, clearly not finished with John yet, was back on Facebook to give the actor evidence of the meeting.
He posted a photograph of Nana Akufo-Addo, John Dumelo and himself with a fourth person.
Mr Asenso-Boakye added the remarks:
“Dear John Dumelo
"I see u are determined to stay on the course u have shamelessly embarked on. Very well, I will leave you to your fate.
"However, do permit me to submit this piece of evidence of your meeting with Nana Akufo-Addo. I'm sure it will refresh your failing memory.
"Let me reiterate the words of Nana Akufo-Addo to you: be a good role model!”
John, who was also not ready to go down easily, tweeted shortly after that: “Do we pose and take pictures if we met secretly? I met Nana in 2014 and I've met JDM. #ichosejdm”.
Follow me on Twitter: @delaXdela and Instagram: citizendela
- Man arrested for threatening to release nude videos of late brother’s wife
- ‘I’m extremely regretful’ – KiDi apologises for ‘inappropriate and unkind’ old tweets
- Mankessim murder: Accused persons allegedly confess to killing 2 more people
- Every single day Akufo-Addo remains President, the country drifts into peril – Dr Amoako Baah
- SIM re-registration: National Security has warned Akufo-Addo against blockage – Deputy Minority Chief Whip
- We will still be a prime supplier of Mercedes-Benz services in Ghana – Silver Star
- Pastor jailed for life after planning coup and black genocide
- My husband left me for a ‘sugar mummy’ after 9 months of marriage – Woman shares experience
- Cedi registers unprecedented weekly decline in trading as dollar demand surges
- 2 sustain gunshot wounds at mining firm in Samreboi
- Let’s build capacities of SMEs to harness full potential of e-commerce – GIZ
- DVLA to increase charges effective October 3
- Blunt thoughts: Shady contracts, a broken economy and Akufo-Addo being booed – Writings on the Wall?
- Take risk; do not be afraid to fail – Kofi Amoabeng to youth
- ‘Everything was working well for me in 2010’ – Asamoah Gyan on best year of his career
- Eddie Cudjoe: Optimising electricity use for business profitability
- In pictures: Tears flow as murdered nurse applicant’s body arrives in her hometown
- First trailer for Johnny Depp and Amber Heard trial movie ‘Hot Take’ Drops
- Halt operations in Tano Nimiri Forest Reserve – Lands Ministry tells Chairman ‘Wontumi”s mining company
- Illegal mining, lack of fertilisers risk undercutting 2022/2023 cocoa yields in Ghana – Redd Intelligence
- Increase Producer Price of cocoa to ¢838 to alleviate farmers plight – GCCP
- Shut door on Ghanaians having Ghana card but yet to re-register SIM card – Communications Ministry urged
- Meghan Markle wanted to live in Windsor Castle and be seen as a princess, royal expert claims
- Nespresso premieres new boutique concept in Accra at Marina Mall
- GRA to sanction staff and officers complicit in smuggling at borders