Audio By Carbonatix
The campaign team of Kennedy Ohene Agyapong has dismissed suggestions that the former presidential aspirant intends to break away from the New Patriotic Party (NPP) to form a new political movement, describing such claims as baseless.
Speculation emerged after Mr Agyapong was absent at the party’s recent thanksgiving service, an event that drew leading figures from across the NPP.
However, speaking on JoyPrime on Monday, February 16, the spokesperson for his campaign, Kwasi Kwarteng, rejected any suggestion that the absence signalled disaffection or plans to establish a separate party.
“It’s not the case that if Ken could not go for the Thanksgiving service, it means he is not supporting the party or that he is going to start a whole new party for himself,” Mr Kwarteng said. “It’s completely untenable. That would be out of bad faith.”
He argued that reading political motives into attendance at a single event was both unfair and illogical, noting that several prominent party stalwarts were also absent.
Among those he cited were ex-President Nana Akufo-Addo and former President John Agyekum Kufuor.
“President Akufo-Addo was not there. Is he also going to start his own party? President Kufuor was not there. Is he also going to start his own party?” Mr Kwarteng queried.
He further pointed out that the former First Lady, Rebecca Akufo-Addo, was not present at the service. “Is she also going to start her own party?” he asked rhetorically.
The spokesperson also referenced lawyer and former minister Samuel Atta Akyea, widely known for his instrumental role in the campaign of Vice-President Mahamudu Bawumia. Mr Kwarteng suggested that even if Mr Atta Akyea had not attended, it would not warrant questions about his loyalty.
“Assuming, without admitting, that he was not there, does that also mean his loyalty to the party is in doubt?” he asked.
Addressing Mr Agyapong’s absence directly, Mr Kwarteng explained that both he and the former Assin Central MP had been out of town at the time of the thanksgiving service.
“I was also out of town, like Ken. Ken himself was out of town. But I am here speaking for the party, and I think that should be enough,” he said.
Mr Kwarteng insisted that there is no basis for claims that Mr Agyapong intends to form a new political party.
Latest Stories
-
New Juaben South MP Okyere Baafi condemns Burkina Faso attack, demands probe into government response
1 minute -
A/R: Unknown assailants desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
12 minutes -
What is wrong with us: Africans know mining, but do not understand the business and consequences of mining
34 minutes -
Ghana Sports Fund begins grassroots field assessment in Volta North, uncovers talent and infrastructure gaps
37 minutes -
Persons with disabilities are not objects of pity — Volta Social Welfare Director urges mindset shift
47 minutes -
Burkina Faso attack: Desist from sharing gory images of victims – Muntaka
1 hour -
Political scientist supports NDC dual-role directive, calls for legal backing
1 hour -
GH¢5.7bn haemorrhage: Ghana’s tomato crisis exposed as Chamber of Agribusiness unveils 2030 rescue plan
1 hour -
Fifi Kwetey slams opponents of directive on dual roles as ‘greedy’ and ‘mercenaries’
2 hours -
Analyst condemns victim-shaming in Russian exploitation saga
2 hours -
Ghana’s Blue Economy in 2026: Taking actions now, leveraging blue resources for sustainable growth
2 hours -
I was once a ‘Bob no rank’; Everybody will have their turn — Afenyo to TESCON members
2 hours -
Tony Aidoo urges NDC to focus on policy communication, not personal praise for Mahama
2 hours -
Akuafoɔ Anidasoɔ: A new dawn for Ghana’s farmers
2 hours -
NTC announces eligibility criteria and registration details for 2026 GTLE 1
3 hours
