The High Court in Kenya has ordered the country’s 416 lawmakers to pay back 1.2 billion shillings ($10m; £7.5m) after ruling that the money had been unlawfully given to them as housing allowances, local media report.
The Parliamentary Service Commission (PSC) had encroached on the mandate of the Salaries and Remuneration Commission (SRC) by granting the lawmakers the allowance, it ruled.
Each lawmaker would be required to repay 2.8m shillings to the government within the next year, Kenya’s Star newspaper reported.
It is still unclear whether the ruling would be challenged.
Kenyan MPs are among the highest-paid in the world and have often been accused by non-governmental organizations of fleecing taxpayers.
- My wife paid for our wedding expenses and I cherish her for that – Joy FM listener
- Guinea coup: ECOWAS’ ultimatum for return to democratic rule not feasible – Col Festus Aboagye
- Sex workers at Sunyani arrested for allegedly beating a client to death
- Inclusion of Alassane Ouattara in delegation to Guinea an insult to coup leaders – Col Festus Aboagye
- Three-member committee submits report on new Black Stars coach to GFA
- Land Minister hands over seized rosewood to trustees of National Cathedral
- Will you loan your spouse-to-be money for your wedding?
- NPP asks supporters to accept incoming MMDCEs list
- GIFEC funded ICT Lab commissioned in Western North region
- I deserve 3Music awards but I’ll get rid of them – Shatta Wale
Baba Yara Sports Stadium ready for use – Sports Minister
45 State Enterprises yet to submit financial statement to Finance Ministry – Report
Government generated $6.55billion in petroleum revenue – PIAC
Accident on Accra-Nsawam highway blocks section of the road
ECOWAS must also deal with presidents who ‘overthrow’ constitutions – Festus Aboagye
Livestream: Newsfile discusses Guinea coup, CK Akonnor’s dismissal and 2021 GBA conference
Residents stranded as flood cuts off bridge in Saboba
We haven’t opened application for postgraduate local scholarships – GETFund
Twitter trends in Ghana: Hunt for new Black Star Coach, SarkodiexGrammy and more
‘Your good works at NSS earned you Sports Minister role’ – Otumfuo lauds Mustapha Ussif
Inclusion of Alassane Ouattara in delegation to Guinea an insult to coup leaders – Col Festus Aboagye
JHS student who led attack on teacher fined GH¢1,800
Aisha Buhari Cup: South Africa ease past Black Queens in Group B opener
GIFEC funded ICT Lab commissioned in Western North region
FORIG calls for support of phytoremediation project