Audio By Carbonatix
The Spanish soccer calendar has been postponed until further notice, La Liga and the Spanish soccer federation (RFEF) said in a joint statement on Monday.
All organised soccer in Spain had been postponed for two weeks due to the spread of the coronavirus but was initially due to resume on April 3.
The statement said a joint commission between the two bodies had agreed to postpone all professional soccer competitions until the Spanish government considered they could start again "without creating any health risk".
RFEF chief Luis Rubiales last week ruled out cancelling the current season, insisting the campaign would resume once the health crisis was under control.
"Both the RFEF and LaLiga wish to express our greatest public gratitude to all those who are dedicating their best efforts to provide essential services to the Spanish people," added the statement.
"We also share our condolences for all the deceased and a warm embrace from the world of soccer to the many families that are losing loved ones."
More than 33,000 people have been infected by the virus in Spain, the second-worst affected country in Europe behind Italy, while over 2,180 people have died from it according to the country's health ministry.
Latest Stories
-
Moon sighting for Ramadan 2026 set for February 18 – Office of Chief Imam
11 minutes -
NAIMOS task force cracks down on galamsey in Ashanti Region over Valentine’s weekend
30 minutes -
OSP goofed and must tell Ghanaians the truth – Frank Davies reacts to Red Notice decision
40 minutes -
Today’s Front Pages: Monday, February 16, 2026
54 minutes -
‘Victory in 2028 won’t be gifted to us’ – Bawumia urges discipline, unity in NPP
1 hour -
Lordina Mahama announces completion of 3 modern maternity and children’s wards
1 hour -
IOM, Fidelity Bank Ghana Ltd partner to boost financial literacy for Ghanaian returneesÂ
1 hour -
There is nothing wrong with being arrested as a politician – Afenyo-Markin urges NPP unity
1 hour -
Fact-based response to misleading narratives on JG Resources Ltd’s gold trade dispute
2 hours -
WHY Dr Bawumia must retain NAPO as running mate: Consistency, loyalty and strategy are good in politics
2 hours -
GNFS prevents petrol tanker explosion at Aveme Junction
2 hours -
Hindsight: Garbage in, garbage out
2 hours -
Gender Ministry condemns alleged digital sexual exploitation by foreign national, vows legal action
2 hours -
‘We realised the mess left behind’ – Asiedu Nketia blames Akufo-Addo gov’t for cocoa crisis
2 hours -
Suspect in Zebilla police robbery and murder arrested
2 hours
