A 90th-minute goal by in-form striker Michail Antonio gave West Ham United a comeback 2-1 win at Leeds United in the Premier League on Saturday to complete a perfect week for the East London club.
West Ham, who knocked Manchester United out of the League Cup with a 1-0 win at Old Trafford on Wednesday, were worthy victors at Elland Road where a Junior Firpo own goal cancelled out Raphinha’s 19th-minute opener for Leeds.
West Ham had made a bright start with Leeds goalkeeper Illan Meslier denying Antonio and Said Benrahma before Raphinha fired the home side ahead against the run of play.
The Brazilian winger drilled a first-time shot into the bottom corner from the edge of the penalty area after he was teed up by Mateusz Klich and then hit the post from the same spot in the 35th minute as Leeds gained the upper hand.
Meslier kept Leeds in the driving seat with two more superb saves when he denied Pablo Fornals and Tomas Soucek before West Ham levelled when Jarrod Bowen’s wayward shot ricocheted into the net off Firpo’s back in the 67th minute.
With the clock ticking, West Ham carved Leeds open when Declan Rice fed Antonio from the right flank and the towering striker rounded his marker down the middle before he planted a clinical finish past Meslier.
- Reckless driver in viral video to appear in court today
- Colombia’s most wanted drug lord Otoniel captured
- Iranian governor slapped in the face during public speech
- I love security issues – Henry Quartey on why he didn’t want to be Greater Accra Regional Minister
- NCA backtracks on Radio Gold, others not having their original frequencies
- CAF Champions League: Hearts of Oak drop to Confederations Cup after being thrashed by Wydad
- CAF Champions League: Hearts of Oak poised to make history ahead of second leg against Wydad
- Agric Minister stopped my bid to introduce fertiliser manufacturing plant – Entrepreneur
- I resigned from Shatta Movement when Shatta Wale started misbehaving – Ken Addy
- I didn’t prevent anyone from building fertiliser manufacturing plant – Agric Minister
Sudan general declares state of emergency amid coup
African Union dismayed over Sudan coup
Reckless driver in viral video fails to appear in court after falling sick
Appointment of Phuthuma Nhleko as non-executive Chairman of Tullow Oil plc
Livestream: Akufo-Addo launches National Alternative Livelihood Programme
Societe Generale continues outstanding performance, profit up 51% to ¢142m in September 2021
Court grants ‘Jesus Ahuofe’ ¢100k bail over Shatta Wale hoax shooting
GCB records 17.8% growth in profit in quarter 3 2021 but NPLs shoot up
Herbalife Nutrition honoured for outstanding HR Management Practices at 2021 HR Focus Awards
Parliament resumes sitting on Oct. 26
EU wants Sudan’s transition ‘back on track’
Twelve injured in Khartoum clashes – reports
Master act of controlling the pressure -Former NSMQ winner advises contestants as finals begin on Oct. 26
GPL: Five substitutes allowed for 2021/22 season
UN calls for release of Sudan civilian leaders